Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phenomenon (Switch 810 with pedestal)

jokrik
Level 7
Phenomenon

About this build log
I've been a pc enthusiast for just about a year and a half. Building a gaming rig for just a "so-so" experience was only my goal at that time. I've started with an average build using a single average graphics, however as time goes by ; I've got a plague to demand more from my rig; adding an SLI setup was my option at that time. Running games on the highest setting possible with no lag or issue was my next goal , than it turned nasty! I was actually starstruck by how the water cooling world . From there everything just seem blur and here I am making a build log for fun (since I enjoy building this rig so much) with a total of 1080 of rad on my switch with a little modding here and there.

Whats with the name?
The theme for my build was actually taken/inspired by how many people hated the CSQ design on the EK Waterblock. I'm not promoting or anything , I've actually used many other water cooling brand in the setup but with this in mind. Probably this build would inspire people to rather than blaming on how bad the design of a product to actually make it work by inserting ideas and solutions into it. I've actually dont mind the CSQ thingy therefore taken a theme from "CROP CIRCLE" which is a phenomena so I've came up with the name "Phenomenon"

What will be in this build?
What I can say is that I will use the same components from my lastest build including the case to save cost. What I will do or try to show in this build log is to make this Switch 810 more eye-popping in term of performance and look. I will be using a total of 1020 space of radiator (480+360+240) with the help of DWOOD Pedestal (which I've already received and LOVE it!) since my ultimate goal is to get a 5c Delta on CPU temp. This goal is pretty way up there since it gets pretty hot without air con in Asia

Most of the components I've chosen are the one that fits in my build color theme. Whats left is that to add a more color fit water cooling components which is already on its way from the USA
The most difficult hurdle I've got is that I am currently located in an Asia country where to to get the water cooling component is limited and pricy. I've ordered from FrozenCPU but sometimes the shipping cost is not worth if I buy in small quantity therefore Im trying hard to order all at once and if something got left behind I'll see what I can find in my own country
The build will also use some laser cut to make the pattern which I've drawn on pieces of acrylic

Main Components:
CPU : i7 3770k
Motherboard : Asus Maximus V Formula
RAM : G.Skill Ripzjaw (4x4GB) 1600mhz
GPU : 2 x Asus Gtx 670 DC2T
PSU : Seasonic Platinum 860w
SSD : OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
HDD : WD Caviar Black 1TB (externally mounted)
Sound Card : Asus Xonar Phoebus
Headphone : Shure SRH1440
Keyboard : Filco Majestouch 2 with Blue switch awesomeness
Mouse : Cyborg RAT 9
Case : NZXT Switch 810 with custom Pedestal
Fan Controller : NZXT Sentry Mix
Various RGB LED (with remote) and sleeved cables

Main water cooling components:
CPU Block : Ek Supremacy
Radiators : EK XTX 480, EK XTX 360 and EK XT 240
Mofset : EK Asus Maximus V formula block
Pump : Dual DDC Laing with EK Top
Reservoir : EK Bay Res Acetal and Bitspower 150ml Acrylic Tube res
GPU Block : EK GTX 670 Asus Block Nickel + Blackplates x 2
Tubing : 3/8" ID 5/8" OD and 3/8" ID 1/2" OD Primoflex Advanced LRT
Fittings : Monsoons 3/8" ID 5/8" OD with Bitspower Adapters ; EK 3/8" ID 1/2" OD with EK adapters
Fans : 15 x Scythe GT-AP15 and 1x Corsair SP140

Lastly forgive me if there are language issue since English isn't my native
and let the build begin!
25 REPLIES 25

jokrik
Level 7
The build has actually started a while ago its just that I'm not sure whether to make a build log for it here
So to keep you guys on date

January 25th 2013
A package arrived from EKWB, I've won the cooledpc competition and this will go into the build 🙂

Took a couple of photos with my SLR and my home made/cheap studio 😄 (table lamp and white cloth)

I cut the top cover with a dremel to make a perfect square so that the laser cut acrylic can fit in it. I’ve designed the acrylic so that airflow can still flow well through the system
This time im using my camera from s3. Due to the nature of my no-life job I've only been able to mod and do some work on the build late at night. Pardon me for the crappy pic 😄

This is a slice of the sketch 🙂

I've sent the sketch and the panel to a friend of mine who is also a modder since I cant locate any laser cut service in my area
FYI I live in East Borneo where services like that is either limited in result or none at all 😞
I'll see how it goes if its not as what I expected and doesnt look good. I might go with other option like mesh or others

jokrik
Level 7
February 3th 2013
Another package has arrived and this come from the US

Inside is...... TADA

Im planning to get the front panel from DWOOD to be laser cut, still going to draw a trademark logo for the rig

I've also decided the color for my cable extension
Currently all my cables are sleeved with black-red-black pattern which I dont think would go well with the upcoming build
I've asked a friend of mine who is an amazing cable sleever to make an extension for me at a cost (seriously with my job and life, I cant get any sleeve done at all while progressing on other stuff 😞 )
He's also sourcing the laser cut for me in Java

anyway
Planning to get something like this

And he did it right away, sent me a picture

AMAZING! love it
will be in the mail soon

February 5th 2013
Woke early due to thunderstorm, so able to get some work on the rig in the morning 😄
I've washed all the radiators thoroughly and even rinse it with vinegar water. Learnt that you can’t just use water to clean the gunk from a coolant, washed it with running water for like a good 5 min on the old radiator, after 5 minutes; clear water came out than I add vinegar in it and leave it for an hour or so.
Came back and have to rinse it again for a good 3 min or so and its allll..... colored water from the coolant....

Next is the painting of the radiator, since its cloudy I wont get the best result with painting it now. But its all ready to go 🙂
Gonna paint only the top radiator where 360 rad will be in use, I'll have the rest of the radiator hidden either with acrylic or down there at the pedestal, so might as well not paint it white

February 8th 2013

Made a few progress, though I'm going slowly with the progress; what I want is for it to be regular though only small per updates

anyway,

I've designed a few panel for the pedestal and some logo emblem for the front and will be sending it tomorrow for the laser cut

I've also drilled some holes for the front mounted radiator today
Decided to also paint the radiator white since i've extra white paint laying around

This is how the pump going to be

Took off the fan controller knob

After some painting

I've cut some acrylic for the motherboard back plate, going to cover the whole back side of the build

Gonna hold the making of 24pins hole, since still not sure how bendable the 24 pin extender

Thats all for now folks 😄

February 13th 2013

A quick update 🙂

My ocd has been kicking in when I saw how messy the cut on the 5.25" cage, I've decided to paint it white

and the result has been nothing but perfect I have to say for myself

meanwhile I've also assembled the radiators and fans so that I can get the big picture on how Im gonna layout the acrylic cover
took me a while to find the right bolts, been hearing a lot of stories where the bolts are too long and damage the radiators
not gonna happen! not today!

Going to measure the acrylic the day after tomorrow, else my gf is going to kill me (valentines tomorrow)
ciao

Double Post

20th of February 2013

A very little update before I leave for another business trip, really hard to find time to work with this build :doh:

The laser cut side panel is done and its on

the top panel is also done

acrylic cover is done, just need to do some holes for the cables and tubing

very happy with the result , the detachable cover mechanism works perfectly

just need a bit of polishing to do

20th of February 2013

A very little update before I leave for another business trip, really hard to find time to work with this build :doh:

The laser cut side panel is done and its on

the top panel is also done

acrylic cover is done, just need to do some holes for the cables and tubing

very happy with the result , the detachable cover mechanism works perfectly

just need a bit of polishing to do