cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V Formula power connection and cpu fan error message

drslash
Level 7
I have my Maximus V Formula system up and running. In the process of getting it to boot I discovered that the motherboard will not power up with the power supply connected at the 4-pin EZ_PLUG location at the bottom of the board. If anybody has a comment about that, please share. At POST time a 'CPU fan error!' message is displayed. I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 1 120mm installed and the fan is running when the system is powered up. The CPU cooler fan is connected at CPU_FAN. If anybody has a comment why I get the message at POST or how I can get rid of the error message, please share. Thanks.

System specs:
Maximus V Formula/Assassins
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive
Samsung MZ-7TD250BW 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 250 GB Sata
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, drslash.

The EZ_PLUG is there to provide extra power to the GPUs when needed. It's useful when you're running a multiple GPU setup. In you case, you can disconnect it. 😉

The motherboard itself has a built in fan sensor that notifies you if the CPU fan is spinning below a certain RPM. So the reason you're getting the CPU Fan Error is probably caused by the EVO's fan spinning slower than the default limit established by the motherboard. You can lower this limit in the BIOS. You can find the option in the Monitor tab under the Fan Speed Control section. The option is called CPU Fan Speed Low Limit.

Thank you.