cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula - 3xHDD RAID 0 + 1 SSD non-RAID BIOS configuration questions

dfir
Level 7
Hello peeps 🙂

How would I go about making the best solution if I want to have 1 SSD for OS in a non-RAID and also have three HDDs in a RAID 0?
If I set SATA ports 1-4 to RAID, then I can only set ports 5-6 to either RAID or IDE.

I have the three HDDs in ports 1-3. The SSD would go to port 5 and my CD-ROM in port 6.
If I choose RAID for ports 5-6, I would have to make that SSD a JBOD in the RAID configuration. Wouldn't that make it loose TRIM?

If I choose IDE then I would loose both TRIM and NCQ.

I have tried to put the SSD in the single onboard ASMedia SATA port, but performance simpy sucks.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can accomplish this without loosing NCQ or TRIM for the SSD disk?

Thank you in advance!
2 REPLIES 2

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Hey there and welcome to the ROG Forums!! 🙂

You should have no problems using your SSD standalone with your SATA ports set to RAID, as RAID incorporates AHCI functionality.
Put your ODD in the standalone ASMedia port(though this will slow your boot by a few seconds).

If you have not yet installed Windows, then you will be fine, other wise a clean install is needed to setup your RAID configuration.

Hope this helps 🙂

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Ok dfir, first things first I'm going to use MYK's input on your Setup and then I'm going to explain.

1st) This is of ARGUMENT at times here on the forums but if you read the Manual Correctly it STATES Port #7(the one Standing up) is for your Optical Drive( Blueray or DVDR) and the ESATA on the back is HD or Optical. but if you look 1 page earlier you'll notice really quick that there is NO MENTION of an Optical Drive plugging into Ports 1 thru 6 but instead it states these are for HD's and or RAID. so plug in your Optical in to Port 7 like MYK told you.

2nd) Plug in your SSD into Port 1 and in BIOS set it to RAID, but your not going to set up your RAID yet. next Install Windows as usual and remember to install the RAID Drivers from AMD along with the other TWO Driver Packages from Here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#2

3rd) Once you have Windows Fully installed and Updated along with ALL of your Drivers and ready to finally install a game 'SHUT DOWN'. After the system is Down plug in to Ports 2,3,4 your RAID Drives and restart the System then durring POST press the "ctrl" and F keys to get into the RAID Set up and from there you'll only be choosing the Drives that are alike or on Ports 2,3,4 DO NOT CHOOSE YOUR SSD! just leave that one ALONE.

4th) When you get back into Windows open up the AMD RAIDXpert and make sure everything is ok or do what ever final step you need to do of which there shouldn't be any. Also you may want to visit Disk Management in the Administrative Tools under Computer Management just in case you need to Partition and Format that RAID.

Remember that AHCI is used by RAID to operate so your SSD will have FULL capabilities when sitting in RAID setting in BIOS.

I hope this helps you getting the Setup you like.