cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD for Maximus iv extreme z

MIVE
Level 7
I was wondering which port should I connect my ocz vertex 2 120gb to the Maximus iv extreme z? because there are few types of sata ports there. I not sure which one is for ssd. can anyone help me out ?
Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z / i7-2600k / GTX 580 Direct CU II / 120 SSD Vertex 2 / 1GB seagate HDD
8 REPLIES 8

Rapid7
Level 7
Due to your drive been sata II i would connect to the grey sata ports below the red sata ports.

MIVE
Level 7
so is ahci ? and I can not plug to the red one? grey = 3gb/s?
Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z / i7-2600k / GTX 580 Direct CU II / 120 SSD Vertex 2 / 1GB seagate HDD

Retired
Not applicable
the 4 grey ports are intel controlled 3gb/s and so any of these is fine for your vertex since it is 3gb/s. The first 2 red ports are intel controlled 6gb/s and the last two are either marvell or jmicron controlled 6gb/s ports (of which there aren't great drivers for windows). Ahci will probably work but you may need to start with ide in order for windows to recognise it during an install, (change it back to ahci after you have all the intel controller drivers installed in windows). Also before you install windows on an ssd make sure you have the latest firmware. My vertex 3 didn't work with this mobo until I updated it to 2.09 firmware 😉

my SSD had an issue now. when I was trying to install os on it, it freeze during the installation. on the other hand, I tried to install the os to my normal hdd. it's works fine.

Praz
Level 13
Set hot-plug to enabled for the port you have the SSD connected to.

Praz wrote:
Set hot-plug to enabled for the port you have the SSD connected to.

what does hot plug do? I think I did change to
enablend

Praz
Level 13
When set to enabled it disables slumber states for that port.

Praz wrote:
When set to enabled it disables slumber states for that port.

thanks for the help guys. is Maximus iv extreme z good comparing to other board ?