cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with G73JH graphics card going out?

Retired
Not applicable
The title explains it all. I bought this monster of a laptop back in April at Best Buy and was very pleased at how powerful it was. Played everything I threw at it just fine, didn't even need to overclock anything.

Now I'm in Aghanistan and the machine took a turn for the worst. I don't know if dust has anything to do with it but I've been looking all over the net and it seems quite a bit of people have the same issue or have in the past. The end result being having to send it in to be fixed. As I said I'm deployed right now and that would just take forever. Is there anything I can do on my own?

I start it up and I know it's working because i can hear the startup sounds and even put in my password and hear the desktop load up, but no visuals at all. On the rare occasion it does show video feedback, it's very distorted and looks like the screen is broken but it isn't, the graphics are shot. There is no reset button anywhere on this version.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Make sure that you clean the vents out as thoroughly as possible. My brother was deployed over there and his laptop came back looking like it had been through a war zone... *ducks*

The other thing is that you may have a loose connection inside. You could try opening her up and see if you can verify the display connection. Of course breaking any warranty stickers (are there any?) would make it impossible to RMA when you do get back stateside.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Where would the stickers be placed?

xeromist
Stickers are used to cover screws usually. This makes it difficult to open and potentially mess up hardware without leaving evidence. It's the same reason that Apple puts water sensors inside of their hardware. Businesses want to pay for their mistakes, not user mistakes.

Anyway, I'm not sure if ASUS even does this. I've got ASUS desktop components but I haven't owned a new laptop in years.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Well after following a youtube video very carefully, I opened her up and all the cables were attached. Guess what I found. When I powered it on, only the leftside fan was working. So I'm assuming the graphics card recently just died since the right fan died. Could've gotten it that way or it just died sometime since April. Woe is me.