+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How to recover Windows 8

ROG Member Fixon +10

No. I boot with w8 and what ever i choose it doesnt alow me to do anything. Som files/partition is missing :/

ROG Member Fixon +10

Hello guys

Finally i have madet install w8.
    I have installed a clean w8 and after that i boot my recovery extern hdd with my original w8 and installed it from there.

One thing that i liked is when i installed a clean w8, w8 has recognized my seriell number from BIOS and it was activated after that

THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING

ROG Guru: Black Belt rewben +150 rewben +150

glad to know that you solved the problem all by yourself

ROG Enthusiast leed80 +10

Hi guys
    I had same same same problem exactly
    I read more more mores articles about imgex, gimagex,DISM, WAIK, WADK, ......etc
    what's the solution?
    just install clean windows 8 ???? after that every thing will be restored when I boot from my windows 8 recovery USB???
    should be I create some partition before install a clean windows 8
    should be GPT or MBR hard disk?
    like primary partition, EFI partition, MSR partition?
    NTFS type, FAT32 type?
    how much size must be?

finally please give link to download a clean windows 8 x64
    because i tried to install a clean windows 8 x32
    but the following message is showing"
    "the product key entered does not match any of the windows images available for installation"

please help me.
    note:I have Asus N65VZ s4298h
    Last edited by leed80; 07-23-2013 at 10:14 PM.

ROG Guru: Black Belt rewben +150 rewben +150

first of all, did you or did you not create your recovery usb using asus recovery tool? which version of windows is your stock OS?

to perform a clean install, you will need the windows install media. unfortunately, if your stock OS is w8, there is no such legit ISO that can be accessed publicly and legally, yet. you will need to get one from other means.

Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    ah.. sorry about that @Fixon you do have .swm (not .wim) in sources folder.

i think the process is:
    1. boot into recovery; it should be pressing win key + i; then goto change pc settings > general > advanced setup > restart now; select advanced options and then command prompt;
    2. in the console, identify your OS partition (assuming it's c:\)
    3. navigate to the sources folder in your external hdd;
    4. issue command: Dism /apply-image /imagefile:install.swm /swmfile:install*.swm /index:1 /applydir:C:\

*be careful* this is just my best guess! guys, please correct me if i am wrong.
    That was useful
    Thaaaaaank you sooooo much Mr. rewben

Is solved this complicated problem by after many many tries
    I used the disk part tool
    Select the disk
    Convert it from GPT to MBR
    Create primary partition
    Rip or extract recovery image files from usb to primary partition with imagex or dism command and use (WAIK AND WADK) as rewben wrote
    Boot with no EFI usb
    Reset my PC and restore default factory.

Now I will tell you why I installed windows 7,

I had problem with my laptop, big problem

When I play games on my laptop, temperature is very very hot and high; I'm used external cool fan but is not useful
    Freeeeeeezing and ALT+CTRL+DEL and POWER button are not useful to shutdown the LAPTOP, only removed the battery and shutdown the laptop,

Sometimes my LAPTOP is hanging when I'm using the windows not gaming and the laptop is not hot,
    Installed all windows update but still the problem,
    So I doubted in windows 8 and removed it and installed windows 7 with all drivers,
    but still the problem same same problem in windows 8,

Now tell me what's the problem with my new laptop?
    Is there a problem with Nvidia graphics card settings?
    Is there a problem with some hardware?
    Tell me what do I do?

Spec.
    ASUS N56VZ-S4298H, Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM 2.30 GHz, 12GB Memory, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" HD LED, GeForce GT650M 4GB, Windows 8 .
    I bought it with 1500$ .

Best regards,
    Waleed
    IT Assistant
    Last edited by leed80; 07-25-2013 at 08:39 PM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Clintlgm +20 Clintlgm's Avatar

It sounds very much like your GPU and CPU may need repasting! You can verify that by using Hwinfo64 run sensors, look at all the readings you will have CPU and GPU Load, Temps and Fan Speeds. Once you see all these reading run Furmark, 15 min highest resolution for your NB, You should peak out about 10 minutes into it at about 80-85 maximum if your going higher than that you probably have a hardware problem. Run something like HD Tune with this program you can run a burn in test on your CPU and Ram again at 100% load temp should stay below 80C to Low 80's if your NB needs repasting these program will push them to there limit and, They will Throttle at around 97C to protect themselves. If that happens you'll have to repaste or RMA it for a repaste?? I see you don't have a Gaming NB, so I have no Idea what normal temps are for your Model. I still think the bun in test above should make it clear to you if you have a hardware problem or not.

Goggle for the programs if you don't have them
    Last edited by Clintlgm; 07-25-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    G75VW-DS72 Win 8.1 Pro MC
    Intel Core i7-3610QM
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    LITEONIT LAT-256M3S Seagate ST9750420AS
    BD Writer

Super Moderator cl-Albert +30

@Waleed, saw that you also posted in the non-ROG notebook area and posted a reply at The problem with games ASUS N56VZ

Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    first of all, did you or did you not create your recovery USB using asus recovery tool? Which version of windows is your stock OS?

To perform a clean install, you will need the windows install media. Unfortunately, if your stock OS is w8, there is no such legit ISO that can be accessed publicly and legally, yet. You will need to get one from other means.
    Now I discovered a new problem related with windows 8 recovery
    When I did a clean install from USB recovery with DISM command, it was installed perfectly an recover my original windows 8
    but I noticed that no recovery partition created on my HDD like before when I bought the laptop, when I go to disk management just find one partition (HDD) and DVD Rom,
    Also when I want to create recovery disc, no recovery partition to create recovery from it,
    Now if I want to recovery my original windows 8 with F12 button and without USB, I can't because no recovery partition on my HDD, and always I will need to USB recovery and DISM command,
    I thinks the problem happened when I try to install windows 7 where I cleaned the GPT disk with clean command in diskpart environment because I couldn't to install windows 7 on GPT and converted to MBR
    Must I to initialize my HDD before used DISM command to recovery my original windows 8 from USB recovery?
    Must I to initialize it? To it can recovery windows 8 as factory default and create automatically hide recovery partition on my HDD to I can recovery from my HDD without USB recovery

I want set my HDD as factory default and contains on recovery partition of original windows 8

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Clintlgm +20 Clintlgm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leed80 View Post
    Now I discovered a new problem related with windows 8 recovery
    When I did a clean install from USB recovery with DISM command, it was installed perfectly an recover my original windows 8
    but I noticed that no recovery partition created on my HDD like before when I bought the laptop, when I go to disk management just find one partition (HDD) and DVD Rom,
    Also when I want to create recovery disc, no recovery partition to create recovery from it,
    Now if I want to recovery my original windows 8 with F12 button and without USB, I can't because no recovery partition on my HDD, and always I will need to USB recovery and DISM command,
    I thinks the problem happened when I try to install windows 7 where I cleaned the GPT disk with clean command in diskpart environment because I couldn't to install windows 7 on GPT and converted to MBR
    Must I to initialize my HDD before used DISM command to recovery my original windows 8 from USB recovery?
    Must I to initialize it? To it can recovery windows 8 as factory default and create automatically hide recovery partition on my HDD to I can recovery from my HDD without USB recovery

I want set my HDD as factory default and contains on recovery partition of original windows 8
    Well no you can't you cleaned your Disk! that removed everything. Your system was originally set up UEFI GPT, you changed it to BIOS MBR so you can never return it to factory original condition. Had you used Asus BackTracker and created a Restore USB media you could have use that to restore your NB to original. Most all of your options for OS install are covered in this thread
    G75VW-DS72 Win 8.1 Pro MC
    Intel Core i7-3610QM
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    LITEONIT LAT-256M3S Seagate ST9750420AS
    BD Writer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast