cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is My Power Supply Big Enough?

Shavillone
Level 7
I have a 650 Watt Thermaltake Evo Power Supply and was wondering if it would be enough go run these specs
Rog maximus v formula motherboard
Intel 520 120gb Ssd
Barracuda 2 tb hd
Corsairs platinum ram
I5 3570k
Corsairs h100i water cooler
Asus 7970 direct ii top

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would say it will probably start up no problem but no not really big enough. You have the K processor which I suppose means you want to OC it and an OCd GPU so If I were you I would get something a touch bigger to have some headroom if you ever wanted another GPU you would need 850w.I would say. And importantly it's not just watts you have to look at but how much current the PSU can provide on the 12v rail(s)

The PSU is the heart of the system at the end of the day make sure you have a good one especially OCing.

Shavillone
Level 7
But say I didn't want to start over clocking for a few months it would be fine right?

Shavillone wrote:
But say I didn't want to start over clocking for a few months it would be fine right?

Yep! the short answer is, yes.

I've had a look and seen it will give 576w 48A on the 12v rail. Thing is, power supplies degrade as they get older (to very varying degrees) something you always have to take into account and running them at full whack will speed this up etc.etc. I always try and advise people to get a good PSU and bigger than they absolutely need but that system will run fine under normal conditions.

Zka17
Level 16
Hm... it's a borderline situation... - as Arne said, that PSU supposed to power up the mentioned system, but...

How many fans are you running? Are there any other components which are getting juice from that PSU?

If you start pushing the CPU and the HD7970, you may find the limit of that PSU pretty fast...

Shavillone
Level 7
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to just upgrade to a bigger power supply when I get another 7970 and start mucking around with over clocking

Not big enough. Sure you can get running but not flying. Many video problems occur from lack of power. if you do any gaming with decent textures, I wouldn't even look at a 650 Watter. I prefer 1000 worry free watts, but these days a quality 850 can hold its own. I know people use less and say it is OK, but why chance it, the prices are not that different, especially if you get in on a sale which is easy with some wholesalers.
Get right with God, One day you are going to meet Him.

Asus Rampage 4 Formula, Intel i7 3820 - OC, 16 Gigs GSkill Z 1866 8-9-9-24, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 680 OC, 128 gig 840 Pro SSD, 1 Tb WD R3 (X2), Zalman LQ 320 closed loop cooler, Kingwin 1000W PSU, Lite-on Blue Ray Writer

Hartacus
Level 10
http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator

I've read from other people that it's not that accurate but It seemed pretty accurate to me. I said screw it and went all in with the AX1200i. Yes, it was much more but the way I saw it is I dont have to worry about a PSU for atleast the next 7 years (warranty). Also if I want to throw on another GPU or anything in the future it would be fine.

HiVizMan
Level 40
It will be fine without any extreme overclocking. Some will not stress the system to heavily. But if you wish to add items to your system or upgrade to a more powerful Video solution in the future then you will need to upgrade your PSU too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.