cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P8Z68-V Pro BIOS 0606 update --- CPU Thermal Measurement Problem

Retired
Not applicable
I have updated a just-acquired P8Z68-V Pro from BIOS 0501 to the newly released BIOS 0606 in preparation for installation of the (also) newly-released IRST 10.6.xxx. However, I have encountered an immediate thermal problem obvious on the default EZ-BIOS screen. The CPU (i7-2600k) idle temperature as recorded in the BIOS screen dropped from (an expected) 42 degrees C in BIOS 0501 to (a totally unexpected) 25 degrees C in BIOS 0606. The local room temperature is ~ 22 degrees C and the CPU is conventionally air-cooled.

Unfortunately NONE of the BIOS programming tools provided by Asus for the P8Z68 Pro will allow "downgrading" the BIOS back to 0501, so I cannot check whether the 0606 CPU temperature readout is purely a numerical error or whether the fan speed control is also (potentially-dangerously) affected by the temperature-measurement error. I have not yet installed an OS on this board, so I do not yet have access to 3rd-party thermal monitoring tools.

I would suggest that anybody upgrading to BIOS 0606 also run up one of the third-party CPU temperature measuring tools before doing any "heavy lifting" with the CPU and if necessary seize "manual" control of the CPU fan-speed in the 0606 BIOS.

====================================
Off-topic but somewhat relevant here:-

It seems very strange to me that NONE of the BIOS programming tools provided by Asus with the P8Z68-V Pro will permit a BIOS downgrade. I build high-performance PCs and my personal experience of errors creeping into BIOS upgrades has not been very good. The ability to user-downgrade a BIOS to either avoid or fully analyse suspected problems with an upgrade would be enormously helpful in confirming (or denying) the existence of a real problem and providing accurate technical feedback to ASUS. It seems that a trivial mod to the "bupdater" DOS tool (currently V1.24) to completely eliminate the BIOS version-check would be a simple fix to the problem. (It would NOT be wise to add the downgrade capability to the far more easily user-accessible "EZ Flash")
14 REPLIES 14

Praz
Level 13
Not all BIOS/UEFI releases overwrite the entire chip and some modules/code are not backward compatible with previous versions. So to give the end user wide open access to any back-flashable BIOS version would be opening up a can of worms. I have EPROM programmers that handle this when the need arises and is a worthwhile tool addition for anyone who builds or maintains high-performance PCs.

Retired
Not applicable
Tell me more about the specific eprom programmer for the Winbond EPROM on the P8Z68. Where do you get the files for the EPROM burner to do a clean burn? They must include the boot-block. Or, do you just read the original EPROM content using the burner and keep that image as the downgrade backup file?

This is my first encounter with a UEFI BIOS. I understand that an interim beta release might not overwrite an entire chip but in the case of BIOS 0606 v BIOS 0501, the embedded IRST component as well as the base BIOS are BOTH fully updated.

it seems to me that it would be very dangerous for Asus to offer partial chip-overwrites in any OFFICIAL Bios releases. Suppose say BIOS 0801 was actually a partial overwrite of BIOS 0701. Then suppose somebody installed BIOS 0801 over BIOS 0401 instead.... My experience of all official (non-UEFI ) BIOS upgrades to date is that the upgrade BIOS image completely replaces the original; there is no requirement to install the upgrade over a specific previous version. I would consider it dangerous if any offical UEFI BIOS updates were NOT complete image replacements.

Praz
Level 13
Most any commercial programmer will flash the chips. You would use the same file you download for a normal flash just have to be sure it is a complete firmware file and not just an update. There are safeguards in place when flashing up from one version to the next. The same safeguards going backwards are not as easy to implement.

Retired
Not applicable
Then the simple downgrade soultion is for Asus to provide the COMPLETE firmware file for each "update" BIOS release for use by 'bupdater', include these files in the downloadable 'bupdater' archive for the P8Z68 and eliminate the version-check in 'bupdater'. After all, 'bupdater' is effectively an on-motherboard ePROM programmer with the restriction that the flash boot-block is protected.

How do you yourself get access to the complete firmware file if you ever need to use your burner to downgrade a BIOS?

Retired
Not applicable
The .rom images for the official P8Z68-V Pro BIOS releases 0501 and 0606 are both 8192KB. These do not look at all like partial chip-overwrites and 'bupdater" is a very simple DOS image programmming tool anyway. So what safeguards "not as easy to implement" are required to simply re-install a previous BIOS image using 'bupdater'? It seems as if the downgrade protection built into the P8Z68 version of 'bupdater' is solely there to protect the user who has OS-installed a later version of IRST and its "f6" driver.

I view the DOS tool 'bupdater' as a 'technician's tool', hence my original suggestion to remove the downgrade restriction on 'bupdater' but leave it firmly in place for EZ-Flash. The documentation in the 'bupdater' archive can be readily extended to warn the user of the incompatibilty dangers in downgrading.... "may need to completely re-install your OS, RAID-arrays may be corrupted etc, etc"....

Retired
Not applicable
It sounds like the new BIOS simply displays temperatures for your CPU being idle @ 1600? I have noticed on 501 that my temps are indeed around 44c, but idle in Windows, they are obviously much lower.

Did you check in Windows? This sounds like a configuration change, not an issue.

I am planning to upgrade tomorrow, would like to know as well, seeing you can't downgrade (wth?).

Retired
Not applicable
liquidox wrote:
It sounds like the new BIOS simply displays temperatures for your CPU being idle @ 1600? I have noticed on 501 that my temps are indeed around 44c, but idle in Windows, they are obviously much lower.

Did you check in Windows? This sounds like a configuration change, not an issue.

I am planning to upgrade tomorrow, would like to know as well, seeing you can't downgrade (wth?).

Well, I am using a Zalman 11x heatsink and can easily reach down past it to feel the heat-pipes very close to the CPU.

After reading your reply, I finger-checked the heat-pipes right at the CPU cooling-block and they sure feel much, much colder than 42 degrees C.

I think that your suspicions are totally correct and that with BIOS 0606, the CPU is indeed configured to idle in BIOS at much lower than 3.4GHz. However, the "Speed" reading at the top right of the 0606 EZ Mode BIOS screen (under the "Build Date") still says "3432MHz". If the CPU is really idling at much lower than 3.4GHz, it would be nice for that information to be displayed somewhere on the default BIOS screen, preferably in the box containing the MB and CPU temperatures.

Anyway, thank you for the great clue. I will proceed to install a OS, which will give me the ability to fully check out the active CPU core-temps vs fan-speed profile.

As for the inability to downgrade the BIOS, that is still a bummer..... Just to check-out your guess, I would have downgraded the BIOS to 0501 and felt the heat-pipes again.

If you still have 0501, I would suggest you record the CPU fan RPM in the EZ Mode screen and finger-test (or temperature-probe, if you have one) somewhere near the CPU cooling block, then check both again after the upgrade to 0606.

Retired
Not applicable
Yea mine is running @ 4500+ and it still says 34xx MHz in BIOS, just ignore that 😛

Retired
Not applicable
Have 606 running now, same thing in BIOS, but temps in Windows are correct, so it looks like I described above, CPU now correctly idles at 1600 MHz in BIOS.