cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-A1 Video Driver Won't Recognize GPU

Retired
Not applicable
Hi everyone, first time poster here and a... sorta new owner of a G74SX-A1 (it's like, 3 weeks old now).

Anyway, I've had subpar performance on my 3DMark11 scores and sifting through various other scores with the same machine, I noticed my drivers were outdated so I decided to try and update them. Problem is they aren't recognized by my computer.

So with that said, where's what I did.

1) Uninstalled drivers via Windows 7, ran Drive Sweeper to get anything else out, rebooted.

2) Ran the NVIDIA Driver found in Chastity's link regarding drivers, only to be met with a message saying that the driver couldn't find compatible hardware.

Now before I do anything else and screw something up, I thought I'd seek out some help. ^_^;

How can I get the driver to recognize my GPU?
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
Did you try the beta Verde driver in her thread or the WHQL?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
Did you try the beta Verde driver in her thread or the WHQL?

I'm a little wary of the word beta.

Anything I should know about before I give it a shot?

xeromist
Beta just means that it has not been thoroughly tested for stability. If you install and have stability problems then you just remove it and try another. The sad reality is that sometimes older beta driver versions actually end up being more stable than newer "release" drivers. This is not always true but I'm just trying to illustrate that beta isn't all bad and definitely worth trying for people having problems. If Chastity has linked it then it's for good reason.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
Beta just means that it has not been thoroughly tested for stability. If you install and have stability problems then you just remove it and try another. The sad reality is that sometimes older beta driver versions actually end up being more stable than newer "release" drivers. This is not always true but I'm just trying to illustrate that beta isn't all bad and definitely worth trying for people having problems. If Chastity has linked it then it's for good reason.

Hi Xero, thanks for the guidance.

I'm happy to report that the new driver did work. In fact it worked so well my suspicions were confirmed that the reason my G74SX-A1 was performing below other similar systems was due to its outdate driver.

The beta driver bumped up my 3DMark11 score by roughly 200 points.

xeromist
Nice. Hopefully this one will be nice & stable until they come up with a better WHQL.