cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezes on Windows 7 with ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z + AMD FX-8350

ibogee
Level 7
Hello,

I have a big problem with my new system building.

I use the following parts:

- Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Mainboard
- AMD FX-8350 Processor
- Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB (2 x 8 GB Kit) with 1866 MHz [CMD8GX3M2A1866C9]

The system just freezes on Windows 7 start-up. The mouse just stops and the keyboard doesn't function anymore.
After changing RAM settings like Latency and so on the system stucks at Windows 7 splasch screen.

What can I do about this? Is there anyone who can help?

It would be good if somebody know stable settings for 1333 or 1600 MHz.

Thanks in favor!
44 REPLIES 44

HiVizMan
Level 40
The OS you are using, is it a old OS?

And was the OS installed using the same hardware that you currently have?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
The OS you are using, is it a old OS?

And was the OS installed using the same hardware that you currently have?

Hello HiVizman,

thank you for your answer.

It is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and it was installed with this hardware on a Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB!

I am not sure whether the freezes did come after Windows updates, because it worked fine the first day.

The temps are all stable! I use a Corsair Hydro H100i Series for CPU cooling.

Update: I bought standard RAM from CnMemory now for testing purposes to check whether it is the incompability of the Dominator Platinums.
I bought 2 x CnMemory DDR 3 2GB 1333 with CL9 and the freezes didn't stop!

Link to technical data:
http://www.cnmemory.de/sites/default/files/ddr3_1033_pc_10461-63.pdf

ibogee
Level 7
Update 2: I checked Windows in Safe Mode without network drivers now and it worked. No freeze for several minutes. Then I restarted the PC and it stucked before booting. There was just a black screen (but monitor was on, because the LED was green), before the ROG boot logo.
Now I did a restart and it stucks at "Windows starts" the colors just don't come up and it doesn't go further.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Since this is a very new OS install I would strongly suggest that you do a clean install of your system. Disable Auto Update for now and see if you have problems with the freeze issue.

Is your system in any way overclocked? That includes your ram?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Since this is a very new OS install I would strongly suggest that you do a clean install of your system. Disable Auto Update for now and see if you have problems with the freeze issue.

Is your system in any way overclocked? That includes your ram?

No it is not overclocked, I tried "AUTO", "D.O.C.P" and "Manual" mode.
I have Windows 8 64-bit on a second partition and it freezes there to.

The RAM is not overclocked, it is underclocked, because the Dominators work with 1866 MHz.

I wonder about the fact, that it worked stable more or less the last days on 1600 MHz. Playing Black Ops II with maxed settings worked fine for more than 3-4 hours.

ibogee wrote:
No it is not overclocked, I tried "AUTO", "D.O.C.P" and "Manual" mode.
I have Windows 8 64-bit on a second partition and it freezes there to.

The RAM is not overclocked, it is underclocked, because the Dominators work with 1866 MHz.

I wonder about the fact, that it worked stable more or less the last days on 1600 MHz. Playing Black Ops II with maxed settings worked fine for more than 3-4 hours.

And when did you do the second partition OS install?

HiVizMan wrote:
And when did you do the second partition OS install?

I did it the same day with Windows 7 last week. It worked without any problems until yesterday. Do you think I should deinstall Windows 8 first?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Did you manually enter the voltage too? that *might* cause system stalls