cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade BIOS 209 from 217 then Laptop wont boot.

wantedzai
Level 7
Need help~ I use G55VW. I've downgraded my bios from 217 to 209 using WinFlash and then lappy wont boot anymore. When turn on got LED on power & keyboard but the screen is pitch black 😞
11 REPLIES 11

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Lesson #1: Please never eeeeeever flash your BIOS through Windows, only ever do it through the BIOS.

Apparently the G series laptops have a little backdoor coded into their BIOSes to get you back up and running, i'll do a search and see what I find and get back to you 🙂

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Lesson #1: Please never eeeeeever flash your BIOS through Windows, only ever do it through the BIOS.

Apparently the G series laptops have a little backdoor coded into their BIOSes to get you back up and running, i'll do a search and see what I find and get back to you 🙂

Thanks man! Actually I was trying to flash through BIOS but apparently it doesn't allow older version. Then I search through this forum to flash older version...that's how I continue to try using WinFlash. I hope my mobo doesn't fry >.<. I teared up the lappy many times already to get RMA.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
OK I FOUND IT!!! yeesh, took me foreeeever, 166 pages of posts is insane, but, a proper search through Google in the Forums, yielded me the answer I have for you and I so hope this works for you, this is what you need to do

1. Put the USB drive(with BIOS file on it) into a USB port
2. Press and hold down both the CTRL and Home Keys
3. Press the power button
4. Continue to hold down the CTRL and Home keys until you get the BIOS Recovery utility

Good luck and please let me know how you go 🙂

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Myk SilentShadow wrote:
OK I FOUND IT!!! yeesh, took me foreeeever, 166 pages of posts is insane, but, a proper search through Google in the Forums, yielded me the answer I have for you and I so hope this works for you, this is what you need to do

1. Put the USB drive(with BIOS file on it) into a USB port
4. Continue to hold down the CTRL and Home keys until you get the BIOS Recovery utility

Good luck and please let me know how you go 🙂

I've been able to get this work on the G75VW, but using the original ASUS Windows image which includes the bios file on the C: drive with a *.BIN extension.
Anyway, if anybody has the original ASUS Windows hard drive image, you can probably skip the USB drive, or if it's not working with the USB drive, try loading the bios file from the hard drive too.
Below is my modified version of the procedure.

1. Put the USB drive(with BIOS file on it) into a USB port, or use the original hard drive with ASUS Windows image. If the ASUS Windows image is no longer available, copy the bios file (older versions may work better?) to the C: drive and rename to a *.BIN file (check for the correct name for your model which can be seen by changing the Windows settings to view hidden files, etc.).

cl-Albert wrote:
I've been able to get this work on the G75VW, but using the original ASUS Windows image which includes the bios file on the C: drive with a *.BIN extension.
Anyway, if anybody has the original ASUS Windows hard drive image, you can probably skip the USB drive, or if it's not working with the USB drive, try loading the bios file from the hard drive too.
Below is my modified version of the procedure.

1. Put the USB drive(with BIOS file on it) into a USB port, or use the original hard drive with ASUS Windows image. If the ASUS Windows image is no longer available, copy the bios file (older versions may work better?) to the C: drive and rename to a *.BIN file (check for the correct name for your model which can be seen by changing the Windows settings to view hidden files, etc.).

The 2nd half was going to be my next recommendation lol(the BIOS file on the HDD)

wantedzai
Level 7
WHATTTTT!!!!!!!!! Thanks man!!!!!!!!!! It worked!!!!!!! Lov u so much!!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!! 😮

wantedzai wrote:
WHATTTTT!!!!!!!!! Thanks man!!!!!!!!!! It worked!!!!!!! Lov u so much!!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!! 😮

SCOOOOOOORE!!!!! i'm so very glad you go it to work mate 😄 luckily I even remembered seeing something about it ages ago lol 🙂

Sinless wrote:
Nice post 😛 lol

Someone should sticky that method. Many people will appreciate it.

I was sure it was stickied already, there's supposed to be a "this is important" sub-Forum in the gx5 Forums...but it seems to be gone, luckily I remembered a few keywords to find the right post to list the steps lol.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
SCOOOOOOORE!!!!! i'm so very glad you go it to work mate 😄 luckily I even remembered seeing something about it ages ago lol 🙂

Words can't describe how happy I am right now~~~ 😉

Oh and a note to the OP: don't downgrade your BIOS mate, you'll just end up having to go through all this again, laptops don't have a BIOS Flashback feature...yet lol

OFC!!! I don't want to go through this hell again >.<

Sinless
Level 10
Nice post 😛 lol

Someone should sticky that method. Many people will appreciate it.
Asus G75VW-RS72 :cool:
Old reliable Qosmio X305