cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbolt

Retired
Not applicable
I recently bought the Crosshair V Formula and in the manual it frequently mentions the thunderbolt in it. I didn't get the package with it included but now I'm intrigued as to how I can get one by it self. Basically I want to know how I can buy a thunderbolt by itself.
17 REPLIES 17

Cyrekk
Level 10
The Thunderbolt is not currently available as a standalone product, it is only available bundled with the CHV/Thunderbolt and R3BE motherboards. At this time, I am unaware of any plans to release the Thunderbolt as a standalone product. If you are really determined to get one, my best suggestion would be to contact the retailer you purchased your CHV from, and inquire about the possibility of exchanging your CHV for the CHV/Thunderbolt.
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS

Cyrekk wrote:
The Thunderbolt is not currently available as a standalone product, it is only available bundled with the CHV/Thunderbolt and R3BE motherboards. At this time, I am unaware of any plans to release the Thunderbolt as a standalone product. If you are really determined to get one, my best suggestion would be to contact the retailer you purchased your CHV from, and inquire about the possibility of exchanging your CHV for the CHV/Thunderbolt.

This assumes the retailer has a TB version, best I can tell NewEgg,, who I plan on buying from doesnt.

Case In Point: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735

For arguments sake, I dont even know what TB is lol but still.
MyU2Sig.com Gen Status: - Total unique user count:

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

MoreBloodWine wrote:
Post.

Cyrekk wrote:

Read carefully. 🙂
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
SYSTEM SPECS

MoreBloodWine
Level 7
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_FormulaThunderBolt

I was checking out TB, and it's useless if you use the first x16 slot with a wide video card. To make the TB useful you'd have to get an adapter or sorts to convert one of the other slots for the TB adapter.

Why ASUS decided it was a good idea to put the PCI slot second, after a x16 slot no less is beyond me. THey should have made the PCI slot first in line.

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

MoreBloodWine wrote:
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_FormulaThunderBolt

I was checking out TB, and it's useless if you use the first x16 slot with a wide video card. To make the TB useful you'd have to get an adapter or sorts to convert one of the other slots for the TB adapter.

Why ASUS decided it was a good idea to put the PCI slot second, after a x16 slot no less is beyond me. THey should have made the PCI slot first in line.

Err... Dude, the TB can be used in any PCIe slot on the whole darned board, where are you getting this from??
[Work in progress]
SYSTEM SPECS

Cyrekk wrote:
Err... Dude, the TB can be used in any PCIe slot on the whole darned board, where are you getting this from??

I'm goin by the size of the connecters on the thing... but if thats the case then fine problem solved. HOWEVER, I still stand by what I said about the placement of the PCI slot being second in line, for people that have wide video cards in the x16 slot 1 and need that PCI slot are SOL.

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

Cyrekk
Level 10
Better to have a slot that you might be able to use there, rather than no slot at all. Then your SOL regardless of your videocard. You can however simply place your card in the lower x16 slot. In case you are unaware, the connector that you were looking at is PCIe x1. The slot on the board was PCIe x1. The other red slots are PCIe x16's. You can slot a PCIe x'n' connector into any PCIe x'm' slot where m>=n (Assuming said slot is configured for at least x'm' operation). Hope that helps.
[Work in progress]
SYSTEM SPECS

Cyrekk wrote:
Better to have a slot that you might be able to use there, rather than no slot at all. Then your SOL regardless of your videocard. You can however simply place your card in the lower x16 slot. In case you are unaware, the connector that you were looking at is PCIe x1. The slot on the board was PCIe x1. The other red slots are PCIe x16's. You can slot a PCIe x'n' connector into any PCIe x'm' slot where m>=n (Assuming said slot is configured for at least x'm' operation). Hope that helps.
It helps but I guess I should have said my argument was concerning someone with two video cards in the x16 slots 1 & 3, then, depending on the size of the first video card may block the PCI slot below the first x16 slot.

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

Cyrekk
Level 10
If we are still talking about the CHV, then you would still have the second x16 PCIe slot available.
[Work in progress]
SYSTEM SPECS