cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EZ Flash 2 BIOS update problem

Retired
Not applicable
Hello everyone,
I need a little help with my BIOS updating. I was about to update my BIOS on my Maximus IV Extreme-Z (Z68) motherboard from version number 0210 to the latest version, which is number 3603. So I downloaded the 3603 BIOS update, formatted my 512MB USB stick to FAT32, extracted the BIOS update file (the .ROM file) onto the USB and restarted my computer and got in to the EZ Flash 2 utility. But when I was going to select the .ROM file, it said that "Selected file is not a UEFI BIOS".

I thought that was a little strange, so I searched for the problem on the internet, and I contacted ASUS chat, and they all said that the problem was caused by not formatting the USB to FAT or that they forgot to extract the .ROM file. But I did all this already (I have checked, many times), so the formatting or extraction is not the problem in this case. I also have the right BIOS file, because I entered my motherboard serial number onto the ASUS download support thingy, so I know that is not the problem either.

Anyhow, I kept looking on the internet, and I came across the Flashback option. Where you stick your USB to the ROG connector on the rear end of your motherboard, and you flash the BIOS that way. But now, here is the question; should I dare to use the Flashback utility instead of the EZ Flash 2? Will my motherboard brick if I use the Flashback, even if the EZ utility said that there was something wrong with my BIOS update file? Or do you have any other tips on how to update my BIOS?

A little expertise would be extremely helpful!

Thank you,
Tobias
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
May I ask why you wish to update your BIOS. Is your system experiencing problems, and what hardware are you using?

CPU is key here.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Retired
Not applicable
HiVizMan wrote:
May I ask why you wish to update your BIOS. Is your system experiencing problems, and what hardware are you using?

CPU is key here.

Thanks for the reply, I wish to update the BIOS because the USB 3 ports at the rear is disconnecting my keyboard from time to time. Sometimes, it takes up to 10 minutes for my computer to find anything connected to the USB 3 port at all. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the USB 3 drivers, but to no avail.
The other day, I even did a clean install of Windows, but the problem still persists.

Here is my hardware (running Win 7 Ultimate x64):
Maximus IV Extreme-Z (Z68)
Intel i7-2600K (Sandy Bridge)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
16 GB DDR3 RAM

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you.

Bios 3501 would be your best bet.

How I would do it is download the file, extract the file to the folder. Copy only the .rom file to the fat formatted USB stick.

Then into BIOS ---> Tools and the EZflash2 utility. You need to let your system go through the entire process, there is going to be a firmware update during this process. Do not power down regardless how long you think it is taking.

One quick thing, make sure you are downloading from the right motherboard download page. I did that the other day spent an hour farting around only to realise I had the wrong version board. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Retired
Not applicable
Thank you very much for the help!
I will try and update it to the version 3501. I will be in touch 🙂

EDIT: Hello again! The update went extremely well! However, when I tried to update from 0210 to 3501, it gave me the same error as before: "Selected file is not UEFI BIOS". So I tried to download the 0902 version, and the update went fine with that one. Then from 0902, I updated to 3510. It all went smooth and I did not have any problems at all!
(There was one scary moment though, when updating to 3510, my computer just shut down. I was really scared that something had happened, but I waited 2 minutes, then powered it up again. Luckily, it was just the BIOS that shut down the computer automatically for the update to work properly)

So thank you very much HiVizMan! I really appreciate it 🙂

I will most probably report back how the USB 3 ports are working after a week or so. Right now, no problems with them has occured, so it is looking good!