cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shut down for no reason?

Dreamtool
Level 7
Hi, I bought a new system this winter, and it have worked just perfect until 3 days ago... Now it completely shuts down the whole pc and reboots for no reason what i can find... I have monitored all temperatures and voltages and that wokrs just fine.

It's driving me nuts, one second i can use the pc at maximum and it can run just fine, but then i can open word, write a few letters and it shuts down again... I'm guessing there is a component, cause it have run on the same settings for 4 months and it's not until now it have begun to crash....
How can i figure out what's causing the problem?

Spec.
asus rampage 4 formula
i7 3930k
geforce 680 oc
G.skill 1800mhz
watercooled...
13 REPLIES 13

xeromist
I would check the Windows event log for anything useful and try running everything at stock for a few days or however long the average occurrence interval is. Over time chips get old so even if it's not overheating it might require more voltage to achieve the same stable clock you had last year. Also you might run memtest86 to see if one or more of your modules has gone bad.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

HiVizMan
Level 40
Do you have a AV application running and please do look at the even viewer to see what is causing this to happen.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

xeromist wrote:
I would check the Windows event log for anything useful and try running everything at stock for a few days or however long the average occurrence interval is. Over time chips get old so even if it's not overheating it might require more voltage to achieve the same stable clock you had last year. Also you might run memtest86 to see if one or more of your modules has gone bad.

The windows log event gets a few reports... First i get: kernel-power ID-41 for not shutting down the pc right and then I get: Event-log 6008 that tells me the pc shut down unexpected the minute of restarting... So i guess that isnt something to bother...
I have run memtest like 1 week ago it was just fine...

HiVizMan wrote:
Do you have a AV application running and please do look at the even viewer to see what is causing this to happen.

I do have av running in background, but it doesnt give me any error when it shuts down...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Which AV do you have, and I might suggest that you run an stand alone scan. What you are describing sounds very much like a system that was brought to me recently and the shut down was causes by a virus. Worth doing as no AV is perfect they just make it harder....
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Which AV do you have, and I might suggest that you run an stand alone scan. What you are describing sounds very much like a system that was brought to me recently and the shut down was causes by a virus. Worth doing as no AV is perfect they just make it harder....

You have a point there... I currently have Avg Internet Security pro (bought version) Running a scan now and will soon see if there is something..
But wouldnt there be a more exact time between the shutdowns if it was a virus ?

Dreamtool wrote:

But wouldnt there be a more exact time between the shutdowns if it was a virus ?

That would only happen if the virus was scheduling a shutdown. There are so many ways (both intended and not) to trigger a shutdown programmatically.

That said if it's not a virus it could a failing PSU or RAM related.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

HiVizMan
Level 40
With a virus you never know do you...

Dreamtool
Level 7
Hmm, this is wierd... After the Scan of my pc for viruses, i found some tracking cookies but nothing to worry about... The pc continued to shut down for a few days, and now everything have just worked properly for several weeks... Rly strange that it just disappeared...

(Sorry for the spelling, but i'm tired)^^

Nodens
Level 16
You know this can also be caused by simple instability in the power network that feeds your home/office..sometimes voltage spikes happen in a power network..if it's a voltage drop it can shutdown devices..or you can see room lights flicker for a glimpse of a second.. If your system is fine now, then let it be..if it starts happening again, check your PSU!

Don't worry about the spelling:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.