cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 - Netflix app won't play if in 5.1 setting

chilinmichael
Level 10
Just as it states, no matter what driver (original 8, beta, or newer 8 one), if the audio is set to 5.1, I get a System Configuration Problem error from Netflix, same of the likes from Hulu (both apps) in x64 Win 8. Anyone have this issue? Yes I've checked protected mode, yes I've used the auto-fix tool from Microsoft, and yes, I even checked and changed the registry key for Protected mode.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.
20 REPLIES 20

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Have you checked the Forums for the Apps? if not...head over there too

chilinmichael
Level 10
I've done plenty of searches. This is related to this audio card and Windows 8, specifically it's inability to comply correctly. The internal audio works fine (tested that). The older driver works in 2-channel.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Ok no worries, do you use Surround Max for your 5.1 output?

chilinmichael
Level 10
Nope, using the Dolby app. I also tried turning Dolby off to see if that fixed the issue, changed the shared sample rate, speaker config, etc...the newest driver will not work no matter what settings I use. The first Windows 8 one seemed to work ok in 2 channel, but the internal audio on the Maximus V Formula is so inferior I can't stand using it so I'm dealing with no Netflix/Hulu apps until a fix is provided. I will (hopefully on Sunday) take a Youtube video of the issue to hopefully make it go viral and force a fix. I've complained about this since the start of drivers for Windows 8, I had since went back to 7, but now reinstalled 8 UEFI (which is fantastic, btw) and don't feel this issue should still be around.

Also by complained, yes, I mean I submitted a proper bug report to the "Xonar team".

Raja
Level 13
Working on this one for the next driver. Believe it or not I use Netflix at home and like the option of HD playback via Metro. I need it patched too 🙂

chilinmichael
Level 10
Thanks Raja!! That's what I wanted to hear, that Asus was aware of the issue and fixing! Made my day bud! Enjoy your weekend.

WTC
Level 7
Not sure if this helps, but I remember ASUS has released a version of WHQL'd Win8 driver before. Maybe you can try that version and also change the Protected Mode registry key (after driver installation) and reboot.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Please read a little harder, as I said in my very first post, I tried the protected mode fixes. I also stated how I've tried all 3 available drivers for Windows 8 in my first post (older, beta and newest win 8 which would be the whql), as well. Sorry if I come off harsh, but if it's one thing I can't stand, it's people littering up a topic because they didn't take the time to read it and just felt the necessity to post something.

WTC
Level 7
Well, sorry if I wasted your time, but I just want to provide some info. I know this for a fact that Netflix (and all other DRM contents) won't play if protected mode audio is turned off, and till now for all Phoebus driver release protected mode audio will be turned off at driver installation. The only chance to have Phoebus driver work properly with protected mode audio turned on is if that version of driver is WHQL'd. I'm not too sure which version of drivers you've tried but if they're not WHQL'd driver you can forget about it. I'm not sure where you can get this but there's one version of Win8 driver that has WHQL logo, Phoebus-1.03, which comes out last year (last August, maybe, and that version does not have DTS features integrated).

You said you've tried "newest win8 which would be the whql", which version is that? And how do you tell it's WHQL'd or not?