cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP! Takes Boot and Restart to get GPU Tweak to Work

James128
Level 7
I just installed a Matrix HD 7970 two days ago and it is an excellent card so far. However, when i boot my machine, I will get prompted by GPU Tweak by a message saying "Do you want to recover your graphic card?" I say OK... Then the system reboots and the card lights up to light blue and everything seems to work fine but I would really like it if this process would take place upon the first boot... If I deny the prompt, the Matrix will pulse green and still seems to work fine but isn't that Safe Mode? Do I even need GPU Tweak for this card to work at its best? Is there something in the Tweak settings I'm missing? And yes, all of the drivers are up to date...

To Make it more clear, here's another way to say it...

After initial boot I get this prompt -

After I click OK, I get this prompt -

Is there any way to get this to happen on the initial boot? Restarting every time I boot the PC is quite annoying. The system boots in roughly 15 seconds but the process is still a bummer. 🙂

Thanks,

James
MoBo: ASUS Maximus V Formula | CPU: Intel i3770K | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz 16GB | GPU: ASUS Matrix HD7970-P-3GD5 | PSU: Corsair AX860i | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD | Secondary Drive: WD 1TB Caviar Black HDD | Keyboard: Corsair K95 | Mouse: Corsair M95 | All Stock Settings
17 REPLIES 17

B0UJI
Level 7
Yep that's safe mode. Means it thinks something is unstable, have you applied any overclock? Try going to the BIOS section and updating through that or go to the website and get the latest VGA BIOS for it. I know when I first got it black screened a couple of times on intensive games until I flashed the BIOS on the website then been fine since then!

James128
Level 7
Okay, I thought that was safe mode. I have not applied any overclocking to the card yet because of this boot and reboot sequence in order to get GPU Tweak to work. I will try to flash the bios and/or update the firmware... Where did you get the BIOS update? ASUS or AMD?

Thanks for the reply BOUJI

James
MoBo: ASUS Maximus V Formula | CPU: Intel i3770K | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz 16GB | GPU: ASUS Matrix HD7970-P-3GD5 | PSU: Corsair AX860i | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD | Secondary Drive: WD 1TB Caviar Black HDD | Keyboard: Corsair K95 | Mouse: Corsair M95 | All Stock Settings

B0UJI
Level 7

James128
Level 7
I went to the link you gave me, went to the downloads section and only have 5 possible updates, none of which are BIOS related. VGA(3), Firmware(1), and Utilities(1) are all I see.

Thanks for the help bro, but I must be missing something?

B0UJI
Level 7
Oh yep sorry it's the "Firmware" one.

My bad 😮

James128
Level 7
Haha, no worries... I'll try that one when I get home.

Does GPU Tweak initialize on first boot for you? Just curious if my original and only complaint is something that is normal for this set up.

Thanks again man!

czeslaw
Level 7
@James128, Hi have you managed to resolve Matrix safe mode booting ? I've the same issue ... still no luck 😞
M7H / Matrix 7970 P (flashed to R9 280x Matrix P) + 2 x DELL U2713HM / i7 4790k + h100i push&pull / 3 x Kingston 3k SSD 120GB / 1 x Corsair ForceGT 120GB / TridentX 2400 2x8gb / Corsair Graphite 600t case + AX1200i + NZXT IU01 + Bitfenix USB3.0 internal adapter

Zka17
Level 16
Guys, I found something regarding/similar to this issue!

I have three Matrix Platinums which after initial testing got waterblocks and tried them in 3-way CrossFire... Now I have decided that I'm downgrading my hardware collection and these cards have to go... So, I have re-mounted the factory air-coolers and retesting them...

Two of the cards were working flawlessly as expected... - but the third one start giving me headaches with the GPU Tweak... start getting that recover question posted in the first post of this thread, then asked me to restart and started over again...

I have to mention that the card itself was working absolutely fine, the load indicator was showing what it had to show, but could not start GPU Tweak...

Tried a lot of things mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, but no luck... - until I realized something: I have tried to hotwire this card while it was under watercooling! For that I have connected those R4E pads at the edge of the card... that time I was OC'ing from the RIVE's BIOS, so didn't used GPU Tweak...

Now, after I disconnected those R4E pads is back again to normal! 🙂

Seemingly, hotwiring is not really compatible with GPU Tweak... at least not with this 2.2.9.9 version...

czeslaw
Level 7
OK, so with hotwire connected it was starting in safe mode as some of people (including me) described. You just disconnected the hotwire cables and it's running good again?

I never used hotwire stuff as my motherboard (m5f) is not supplied with this feature.
Maybe my card thinks it's under hotwire and really it's not ?!

Can you put your pc into sleep mode and resume windows without any of your radeons going to safe mode?
M7H / Matrix 7970 P (flashed to R9 280x Matrix P) + 2 x DELL U2713HM / i7 4790k + h100i push&pull / 3 x Kingston 3k SSD 120GB / 1 x Corsair ForceGT 120GB / TridentX 2400 2x8gb / Corsair Graphite 600t case + AX1200i + NZXT IU01 + Bitfenix USB3.0 internal adapter