cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Gene Z won't boot at rated memory speed (CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB)

Retired
Not applicable
I have the Asus Maximum IV Gene Z with a i7 2600k and Vengence Ram [CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R] I am unable to run at the state Speed of 3800mhz by using just the Load OC Profile. I also tried many many other settings.... incl auto, using the Asus AI Suite to do an auto tune. It shows successfully oc to 4200+ but somehow when I use CPUz and everest it shows still at 3400ghz which is stock... What can I do Raja? I know this is a good board but I am not sure where I am doing wrong... Other settings are:

Ai Overclock: Manual
BCLK/PCIEE Frequence: 100 [Default]
Turbo Ratio: All Cores
Max Turbo Ratio Setting: Auto
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Auto
Memory Bandwidth Booster: Disabled
Xtreme Tweaking: Disabled
iGPU Max Frequency: Auto
EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled
Dram Timing Control: All Auto
CPU Performance Settings:
CPU Ration: Auto
Enhanced SpeedStep Technology: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
Maximum Power Enabled
CPU Core Cutrrent Limit: 1023.875
CPU I/O Current Limit: Auto

Advance
Current CPU Ratio: 34

CPU Ratio: Auto
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Disabled
Hyperthreading: Enabled
Active Processsor Cores: All
Limit CPUID Maximun : Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled
Enhanced Speed Step Tech: Enabled

Turbo Mode: Enabled
CPU C1E: Disabled
CPU C3 Report: Disabled
CPU C6 Report: Disabled

Anti Surge Support: Enabled

Everything else is at default. Somehow I am unable to even use the XMP Profile of the memory Everything is brand New. Suggestions anyone? I followed other settings like adjust individual each core to 36-44 but it did not boot up. What did I miss? I am sure many have similar config as mine.. I got the 16gb 1866 ghz instead of the 1600? Is that the problem you think? I can still return that for the 1600.
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
This post below looks similar to your issue:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2787-Maximus-IV-GENE-Z-BIOS-Guide-Overclocking&p=22436&...

But, in short I would not use the XMP option since you have more memory and a higher speed as well. Having 4 DIMMs causes more strain on the IMC than 2. It can usually handle it but the speed may need to be dropped, timings tweaked, or IMC voltage increased in order to accommodate. Start by setting your memory speed and timings to the specs of the memory and see if you can get it to boot. If not, give voltages a slight bump or relax the settings.

Also, I changed your title to be more descriptive, hope you don't mind. Your original title was far too generic and would not have gained you much help.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Raja
Level 13
Looks like he joined twice Xeromist. I have already asked for his memory timings etc but they have not been forthcoming.

The issue is with the 16GB of memory not being setup correctly.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
Sorry about joining twice as I had some connection problems and did not know if I had join as it did not refreshed and was desperate for some solution. I believe the timings are 9-10-9-27. The rest was all on auto. I can look up and see. What is the AI Asus Suite for. When click on Auto Tune it seems to overclock and restart the system. Sorry for the newbie questions. Some reviews on the net mentioned about changing just 1 setting and it will run at 4200+ghz at least. I would not mind that at all seriously as I am not looking for extreme overclock and do not play games and only database queries. Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks

Retired
Not applicable
My Dram Settings

Spathi
Level 9
It is also important to keep the memory in original pairs in the same color slots as the speeds of different matched modules will be slightly different even at the same rated speed. If you have that under control, then it might help to swap red and black slots. Don't get too hung up on fast ram, it does not make much difference.

When I put a second set in they were 10% faster, not sure why.. I could not be bother swapping to find out, but one set of slots (2,4 for single pair config) might be slower for XMP memory. Either that or my second matched rams were faster.

You could use this to work it out and maybe work out the best match.. http://www.memtest.org/