cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero with 4770K OC situation

alamakluke
Level 7
Hi All,

I am new to the ROG family but not new to OC but I am stuck here and I need some advice. I have recently purchased a i7 4770K CPU with an Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero mobo and other parts of course, and everything is working at stock speeds including the XMP profile for my G.Skill 2400mhz RAM.

Now i am ready to OC this baby and see how far I can push this chip. I started with setting up the OC to manual and change my multiplier to 46 and then changed my Vcore voltage to 1.25v, my RAM is running at 1333mhz.

The system booted into windows 8 and then I started a system stability test (Aida 64) and half way through the test windows crashed, so I then moved up my Vcore to 1.26v and restarted the stability test and it crashes again even though my temps were about 85-89 C

So then I moved the Vcore to 1.27 and then the stability test went through with no issues and my temps were 88 C. Ouch that is hot but of course I know that my system will not run this hot all the time.

Now that I have the highest stable OC that I can get now I am ready to tweak the settings especially the Vcore when the system is just idling. So I decided to change the CPU Core Voltage to "Offset Mode" and then I added 0.13V. Then rebooted the system and it did boot into windows and then I started a stability test once again and my Vcore went from 0.885v to 1.268v which is good but a few seconds later during the test the Vcore went up to 1.32v which then my temps go above 90C and my CPU throttles down.

I tried using the Adaptive mode as well and my results are basically the same as Offset mode. I've tried changing the offset to 0.10v and my system will not load into windows, if I move it up to 0.11v windows does load but crashes not long after, if I move it to 0.12v my Vcore goes up above 1.27v and my temps go to high. It's almost like the base Vcore voltage goes up on it's own. 😞

can anybody give me any advise on how to get my system to throttle down correctly and also have my VCore adjust accordingly.

thanks in advance.
alamakluke
25 REPLIES 25

HiVizMan
Level 40
What is happening is your system pulls more voltage after a few minutes into the stability test. The test basically warms up your processor and then kicks in to max.

This from the man who was involved in the design of the motherboard.

For the best cpu freq stability, find the right level of VCORE/Max VCore, Input Voltage, PLL Termination Voltage and X-talk cancellation voltage.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

alamakluke
Level 7
Thanks HiVizMan for the quick response. That's what I am thinking as well but is it true that when you set the CPU Core Voltage to "Offset Mode" that it takes the VCore that the BIOS is showing already plus adds what I enter in the Offset field? For example, in the BIOS if I set the CPU Core Voltage to Auto and reboot the system it shows a VCore of 1.008v. If I change the CPU Core Voltage to Offset and then add 0.26v to the Offset field, reboot the system, then the VCore should never go higher then 1.008 + 0.26 = 1.268v right?

HiVizMan
Level 40
No it is not quite like that. Offset is dynamic. Depending on the registers in the CPU that determine vCore at specific frequency or load the offset is added (or subtracted) from that depending if you set positive or negative offset.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

alamakluke
Level 7
What settings should I start to find out the maximums for VCORE/Max VCore, Input Voltage, PLL Termination Voltage and X-talk cancellation voltage? Currently the only setting that I am playing with out of these 4 is VCore...

thanks

HiVizMan
Level 40
I think the first thing you are going to have to do is drop your frequency. 4.6GHz might be a 100MHz too far for your cooling considering the voltages that you have indicated you need for stability assuming you use 1.27 vCore. Yes you will never be running at 100% across all cores like the stress test does but I still feel 88'C is too high. I like to keep my day to day temps below 60'C even under load when rendering or hard gaming.

1.26 would be the optimal vCore to frequency ratio on a 24/7 system for my builds.

As to how much to add, I used 0.02 + offset as a starting point and worked up from there.

Raja
Level 13
alamakluke wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to the ROG family but not new to OC but I am stuck here and I need some advice. I have recently purchased a i7 4770K CPU with an Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero mobo and other parts of course, and everything is working at stock speeds including the XMP profile for my G.Skill 2400mhz RAM.

Now i am ready to OC this baby and see how far I can push this chip. I started with setting up the OC to manual and change my multiplier to 46 and then changed my Vcore voltage to 1.25v, my RAM is running at 1333mhz.

The system booted into windows 8 and then I started a system stability test (Aida 64) and half way through the test windows crashed, so I then moved up my Vcore to 1.26v and restarted the stability test and it crashes again even though my temps were about 85-89 C

So then I moved the Vcore to 1.27 and then the stability test went through with no issues and my temps were 88 C. Ouch that is hot but of course I know that my system will not run this hot all the time.

Now that I have the highest stable OC that I can get now I am ready to tweak the settings especially the Vcore when the system is just idling. So I decided to change the CPU Core Voltage to "Offset Mode" and then I added 0.13V. Then rebooted the system and it did boot into windows and then I started a stability test once again and my Vcore went from 0.885v to 1.268v which is good but a few seconds later during the test the Vcore went up to 1.32v which then my temps go above 90C and my CPU throttles down.

I tried using the Adaptive mode as well and my results are basically the same as Offset mode. I've tried changing the offset to 0.10v and my system will not load into windows, if I move it up to 0.11v windows does load but crashes not long after, if I move it to 0.12v my Vcore goes up above 1.27v and my temps go to high. It's almost like the base Vcore voltage goes up on it's own. 😞

can anybody give me any advise on how to get my system to throttle down correctly and also have my VCore adjust accordingly.

thanks in advance.
alamakluke

Hi,

AIDA stress test contains AVX routines, which ramp the core VID above normal loads. I wrote about this here in the guide:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking&country...

Under normal software load it won't happen. And it also depends on the amount of AVX instructions in the software.

-Raja

HI
I have a Question I am new at ocing I have a asus maximus extreme vi Z87 with a i7 4770k cpu and gtx titan gpu, I have tried ocing with asus ai suite 3 with options 4.2 4.4 4.6ghz it is stable with 4.4ghz with aida64 stress test and prime 95 stable after 16hours but as soon as I set 4.6ghz I get bsod after 20min all power saving options off xmp enabled ht disabled also please help thankyou

mikey_m
Level 7
And also temps are at 66c under load 1.25 for 4.4ghz
So I gather there is room for 4.6ghz? any help is greatly appreciated

Chino
Level 15