cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA/THUNDERBOLT its safe to buy?

Retired
Not applicable
Hi, i want to buy the ASUS CVF Thunderbolt, and i want to know if can i do this things:

1.Can i unlock cores with that motherboard? Because bulldozer will have a processors with unlock, and i want to buy also for now the Phenom II X2 555 to unlock cores.
2.I will have no problems, and will be okay, with the motherboard? I see people with a lot of problems with the motherboard...
3.There will be an revision of that motherboard like B3 on Socket 1155?

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7

jewie27
Level 7
the cores are already unlocked out of the box and no there is no revision 3 because that is only for Intel.
New ROG PC built Nov 2011:
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Intel Core I5-2500K
(2) EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked in SLI
Corsair 600T
Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooling
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair Force 3 128GB SSD for boot drive
8GB Red Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24
1.5 TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Asus 12x Blu-Ray Writer

Built my first PC at age 12, Pentium III @ 450 Mhz.

Area_66
Level 11
hummm jewie27 , you don't read the post properly, it's not dozer he want to unlock it's the Phenom II x2 and he don’t ask if they gone have a revision b3 but if they gone have a revision like Intel did with the B3..

Retired
Not applicable
Yes, like ASUS P8P67 and the revision ASUS P8P67 REV3.1....
But for now, i want to unlock the cores of the Phenom II X2 555, and i don't know if bulldozer has processors to unlock cores too, but i want to know if this motherboard can unlock him, and where...

chrsplmr
Level 18
Why 'that' cpu? Already have it? Otherwise..all kinds of low cost amd's out here.
As to 'safe to buy'...go for it.
It is a hands on board with every bell and whistle you could want.... I haven't
found anything I cant run on it..with a lil coaxing from time to time.
Right now, it is the best amd board in the world.. and safe? thats what rma is for.
There is always the big box, out-a-the-box, loaded with bloatware, cheap as they
can make them coNputers, but U didnt say what U will be using it for.
But if its gaming/oc'n and more fun than a human being should be allowed to have, then..yep.C5F.
(Mine isnt the Thunderbolt version.)

Good eye, MO. Welcome j27, enjoy.c.

Retired
Not applicable
Thank you for you comments
The choose of the cpu it's because i have a limit on the money can i spent, i will do a new computer soo i need to buy a lot of things, keyboard, headphones,motherboard,cpu,graphic card...(and another things that i already have bought)
And i need that motherboard because i will play games, wich i need low pings, and very nice sound, also i will unlock the X2 555 to a QuadCore and OC'him to the limit!
I don't will spen't much money now because, when dozer come's out i will buy one, so why spent now 100$ (like X4 955) when i can spent less (70$) with the same performance and i can buy for exemple a keyboard?
Also, i doo very multi-tasking...
If i need nice sound, and very low pings, why you choose ASUS CVF TB? Because, the thunderbolt "costs 100$" (CVF "normal" 180$/200$) the chip Killer e2100 is the same thing as the Killer 2100, and also features a nice sound like ASUS XONAR
ASUS XONAR+Killer 2100 = ~200$
I save a lot $
And i don't want go always to rma, i hate rma, i use computer every day.
Soo, i can buy with no problems later?
I see a lot of people with troubles with, hdd,gpu,....

chrsplmr
Level 18
yes..i understand $$$.. that 70 can go to the better bulldozer..agree.
the oc ques on that chip is for one of the others...
nothing wrong with the sound on the c5f either...(id like to play with /T too, though.)
as far as other posts of issues..most are operator error..and
lack of patience....
you will be happy in the end, i think, with your choice...best of luck...c.

Retired
Not applicable
Thank you, next weeks it's at home 🙂
Maybe put a video in youtube unboxing that.
Regards