cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!

X-ROG
Level 15
Please note we fit 1.35V memory into our G750s. New Haswell CPUs require this and using 1.5V memory can cause problems along the lines of:

> Overheating
> Damage to the CPU IMC (due to the increased potential difference)
> Greater battery use than our stated values.

Also remember for every DIMM you add you increase the power consumption by 1-3W each, depending on what you buy.

Once I get ahold of a G750 to borrow for a few days I'll do an upgrade guide.
288 REPLIES 288

Darknal
Level 7
Much appreciated for the PSA Marshall! Good thing I waited out for installing new memory sticks.

rewben
Level 13
thanks a lot for this @MarshallR 🙂

BobbyCannon
Level 9
Ah crap. I've already installed my ram inside... My Corsair Vengeance ram would not work with all 4 sticks. I guess this would would be why? I'm going to have to order replacements but would it be OK to run the system now? I guess so I ran it all day yesterday like this.

BobbyCannon wrote:
Ah crap. I've already installed my ram inside... My Corsair Vengeance ram would not work with all 4 sticks. I guess this would would be why? I'm going to have to order replacements but would it be OK to run the system now? I guess so I ran it all day yesterday like this.

Yes it will work but under extensive stress (gaming/video encoding etc) you can get overheating depending on the DIMMs used. 1.5+V is generally not advised for long term use either, but a few weeks won't hurt.

On the product pages it does state DDR3L, but I have requested our G series marketing clarify that means 1.35V. In an ideal world memory companies should identify their SO-DIMM products as Haswell compatible as well. I'm asking about whether we have a public QVL or whether it's something we just informally issue to SI partners.

For the record though our notebooks are not targeted at modders sorry, the TA is for those who require a device that works out the box. We feel that if you want more extensive customizations you should look at a small desktop.

Xbcxbc
Level 7
Marshall, thank you, a step-by-step guide would be very much appreciated. I'm comfortable putting in hardware (and I wouldn't feel uneasy at all doing it to someone else's laptop) but without documentation on how to take the machine apart I'm somewhat hesitant to start it. Good thing you mentioned the memory, I need to order the proper memory sticks.

BobbyCannon
Level 9
I've thought about this more and more. I'm really disappointed with Asus for not putting in this detail in the manual. Technically you guys don't even detail anything about what kind of RAM to even use in the manual. Please update the manual to give some sort of direction for the user to find the correct type of RAM to use.

I've purchase 5 of these Asus ROG G series laptops. This model is my least favorite. I'm actually wishing I would have just stuck with my G75. Let's just hope my new RAM I order from Amazon works. It's 1.35v and it's 1600 so it should work...

/FingersCrossed

While I get your position, I also understand how Asus must see this- this is an intel thing, not an asus thing. ALL 4th generation haswell CPUs run on 1.35v RAM, its not like any vendor has a choice about this. I think the expectation of Asus is that if you are going to pop the hood on your laptop to start with, then you are likely qualified enough to already know haswell's specs, as a CPU. Dont get me wrong here, but I knew about the new voltage requirements on RAM for haswell CPUs before you could even buy a haswell CPU, even from an OEM.

Brenderick wrote:
While I get your position, I also understand how Asus must see this- this is an intel thing, not an asus thing. ALL 4th generation haswell CPUs run on 1.35v RAM, its not like any vendor has a choice about this. I think the expectation of Asus is that if you are going to pop the hood on your laptop to start with, then you are likely qualified enough to already know haswell's specs, as a CPU. Dont get me wrong here, but I knew about the new voltage requirements on RAM for haswell CPUs before you could even buy a haswell CPU, even from an OEM.

Who are you responding to Brenderick ? It helps to at least quote the name, and even better - some of the context of their posting.

Xbcxbc
Level 7
Yes, the lack of technical documentation is very frustrating. It doesn't need to be in the printed manual but at least a detailed PDF should be available for download - it really wouldn't cost Asus anything and it'd go a long way to make this product look professional. I had similar amateurish experiences with previous ROG G laptops - I've used 4 so far. Decent hardware, acceptable prices, soiled by these kind of really primitive mistakes. I'd rather just pay $50 more for the laptop if that covers the cost of putting together a decent tecnical documentation.

When I called VIP support about about how to get to the memory, the support guy kept bleeting "I'm sorry sir, we don't provide this kind of information...". The poor guy really pissed me off although it wasn't his personal fault. What's the point of making a high-end laptop (even targeted for modders) when getting information on how to extend it is near impossible?