i7 4770k
Z87 Deluxe
16gb Crucial Ballistix Elite (8gb x 2) 1866 cl9 1.5v
Evga 9800gtx
Corsair VX550 PSU
2 x 36gb WD raptor HD in raid-0
1 x 750gb WD HD
Samsung DVD drive

So I installed windows 8 pro under stock BIOS version and then did Install All drivers option off motherboard driver CD, only thing I changed in BIOS was to enable xmp profile and enable SATA as raid mode. Everything was running great no issues. Then I saw there was a new bios, so I flashed it using flash drive and bios ez flash utility, it went successfully and I went into new bios and enabled xmp and enabled sata raid mode, but after that windows kept throwing random blue screens. I ended up having to reflash the original bios from the motherboard CD and now everything is OK again? Should I just wait for a new bios to come out? I'd like to use this newer bios if possible. Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Steve
27 REPLIES 27

Praz
Level 13
Using the 1007 version UEFI do you still get crashes if you do not use RAID?

powruser
Level 7
Thank you for quick reply Praz! I will reflash the 1007 BIOS and report back.

Regards,
Steve

powruser
Level 7
Yes still have BSOD in AHCI mode. 😞

Praz
Level 13
Strange. I have no issues with AHCI mode. At what point is the BSOD happening?

powruser
Level 7
Its random. Windows doesn't last more than 1 to 2 minutes. Just now I reflashed 1007 and set to AHCI and went to reinstall windows on just one of the raptors and it BSODed in windows 8 setup.

powruser
Level 7
I'm a decent ways into windows 8 installation on 1007 bios in ahci mode with XMP disabled. I'll bet raid would be fine too as long as xmp is disabled. Xmp worked fine under old bios?

powruser
Level 7
Scratch that. It BSOD'ed. Am manually setting dram speed, voltage and timings to see if that works.

powruser
Level 7
Setting dram speed/timing/voltage manually doesn't help. Neither does ahci mode..starting to think an exchange is in order? I bought from micro center and I'm in exchange period. I don't want to be stuck on old bios..any other ideas?

samual
Level 11
Hi powruser:

The 4770k is a power hungry chip. Have you tried ramping up the vcore?
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w