cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 crashes with GPU tweak

mmed123
Level 7
I just installed Windows 8.1 preview.
Since then my computer always crashed a few seconds after I had logged in.
After a while I found out that the problem was caused by ASGT service (Asus GPU Tweak).
Disabling the service solved my problem.
I don't know if it's a problem with my Windows installation or if I just need to wait for Asus to update the software.
12 REPLIES 12

B0UJI
Level 7
Well 8.1 has only just come out as a preview so ASUS won't have had a chance to make sure it's ready for it....

map01ch
Level 7
Hey mmed123, what is your hardware spec? Perhaps it can help ASUS a bit to find a solution for you.

Any word on when GPU Tweak will work with Windows 8.1???

I cant believe how bad this software is - can you please open up the card so that we can do voltage/proper fan tweaks using Afterburner?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Once 8.1 is beyond the preview stage and officially released we can expect ASUS to support it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

EN1R0PY
Level 7
I have the exact same problem with the beta 13.6 driver with GPU Tweak as well as Sapphire Trixx and MSI Afterburner with voltage control enabled.

I have AMD cards and the funny thing is the windows 8.1 driver that i should be using with 8.1 does it on it's own without the software, bit random, anyone else or is it just me?.

I know they have added new dx11 features to 8.1 but wouldn't feature levels stop any major compatibility issues. The extra features may or may not be available to different software/hardware but isn't it all just dx11_x, or whatever. I get that is a preview but shouldn't these included features imply that it'll be taken up by the gaming community quickly.

Kinda seems like I've had a software upgrade for a better UI and a couple of extra features and everything else is broke. :mad:

Windows and drivers are not gpu tweaks fault of course, though saying that my cards are ASUS, and did come with a shiny 'windows 8 compatible' sticker.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey EN1R0PY are you having this same issue with Win8? Or only with 8.1?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Praz
Level 13
GPU Tweak as well as some other GPU utilities need updating for use with WDDM 1.3 which was introduced with the 8.1 update. These updates will most likely take some time.

X-ROG
Level 15
As a general rule of thumb our software doesn't support unreleased OS'. We may provide beta's where it's critical but most times we release our updates when the OS releases officially. I have asked our product managers if this schedule is still expected for GPU Tweak specifically.

EDIT: GPU Tweak team says new version supporting 8.1 should be out by end of July!

EN1R0PY
Level 7
I was only having problems in 8.1, 8 was absolutely fine.

Great news on the update for 8.1, I will soon be able to abuse my cards again!