cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sandforce SSD not supported by Haswell?

dan4real
Level 7
Just built a new system and my plan was to use my existing SSD boot drive from my old build. After successful POST I've managed to boot into Windows a handful of times but I was experiencing instability and BSODs. Then I started having trouble booting period. I was getting crashes, freezes and BSODs during Windows boot. All with stock settings, no overclock, using XMP memory settings and even underclocking my memory to DDR3 1600.

At first I thought maybe a bad DIMM so I ran memtest individually on each module, and got no errors. Tried booting each memory module individually and still had the same problems. Then I noticed how I was also having issues with my SSD not showing up in the UEFI consistently. I figured that it must be an SSD issue - since it was only showing up in UEFI intermittently with each POST.

After searching around I understand that this SSD problem seems to be universal on all X87 boards. Older SATA II SSDs with Sandforce controllers are apparently not compatible with Haswell's strict SATA compliance rules. Wondering who else is having this problem, are there any workarounds? Can a BIOS update solve this or does it look like I'm stuck buying a new SSD? Already tried using different SATA ports, power connector, enabling/disabling AHCI, Aggressive LPM setting, Fast Boot on/off, all with no success.

Specs:
X87 Hero
Gskill Trident 2400 DDR3 x 32gb
OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD
Corsair 750w PSU
25 REPLIES 25

Raja
Level 13
You are correct that SSD is not supported. I'd recommend using another drive.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
You are correct that SSD is not supported. I'd recommend using another drive.

Thanks Raja,

Guess I'll be doing some shopping... Samsung 840 Pro I think...

X-ROG
Level 15
SF1200 based SSDs are unsupported on 8 series chipsets unfortunately. I think the more recent SF2xxx series are fine, but someone will have to confirm.

Praz
Level 13
SF2xxx series (SATA 6Gb/s) have no issue with Haswell.

Praz wrote:

Hey Praz, how do you know if its an SF2xxx SSD? I had a look on the Corsair site for the GT but couldn't see anything mentioned. I have the Maximus vi Extreme z87 arriving today and have 4 SSD's.

Corsair GT 60G (OS)
Corsair GT 120G
Corsair Performance Pro 128G
OCZ Vertex4 120G

Is it a case of all SATA 6Gb/s are SF2xxx (If its a Sandforce controller).

Thanks,
I7 4770K @ 4.6GHz, Custom Water Loop
Asus Maximus VI Extreme-Z87, BIOS 1603
EVGA GTX 780ti SLI x3, Vulkan 356.43 Skyn3t VBIOS
Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1866MHz, 16GB
Samsung 850 250GB SSD (OS)
Samsung 840 120GB SSD
Corsair GT 120 SSD
Corsair Performance Pro 128 SSD
OCZ Vertex4 120 SSD
PSU EVGA SuperNova 1300W
ASUS Swift PG278Q 144Hz G-Sync
Oculus Rift DK2 + Leap Motion
Windows 10 64-Bit Insider Build 14271

Praz wrote:

I use 2 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSDs in a RAID set and they have the SF2281 controller. They work fine with my Maximus VI Hero system until you do a bios update, then you better have a good backup!

I have started to look around for a suitable upgrade but the ASUS device compatibility list is out of date. I want to avoid all Sandforce controllers. There does not seem to be any easy way to find out what SSDs are compatible with my motherboard.

😞

Breimeister wrote:
I use 2 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSDs in a RAID set and they

This is more likely due to a an OROM change in the UEFI version rather than a drive or a SandForce controller problem.

migel_prado12
Level 7
correct. SF2xxx series work flawlessly with Haswell. Issue could be with your BIOS. Try updating this.:o

migel_prado12 wrote:
correct. SF2xxx series work flawlessly with Haswell. Issue could be with your BIOS. Try updating this.:o

The issue is the drive's controller and updating the BIOS will not solve this.