cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero Slow Windows Boot times

KingWeazle
Level 7
Hi All,

I've just built my new rig and am having trouble with my Windows 7 boot up and shutting down times.

I've installed Windows 7 onto a Samsung 840 series 250GB drive and it can sometimes sit for up to a minute on the windows flag screen before booting into windows. Once i'm in Windows everything is fine until I log off where it can take up to a minute to shut down as well.

The drive was working perfectly on my previous p8Z68 pro build and would boot up in 15-20s. I formatted the drive before re-installing windows for my new build .
I've updated the SSD, all of the windows updates and all of the motherboard drivers etc but still no improvement. I've even cloned the Samsung drive onto an OCZ Agility 3 drive and tried booting from that but have exactly the same issue.

I am starting to think it's a problem with the SATA drivers. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas on what to do?

My spec is:

i7 4770K
ROG M6H
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz Ram
Corsair HX1000 PSU
GTX 690
Corsair H100
6 REPLIES 6

cstkl1
Level 7
Change from force to keep current.
Enable hardware fast boot
In ure mem Enable MRC fast boot.
Disable anything ure not using asmedia etc etc.
change boot logo time

i7 4790k@4.7ghz 1.28v||Asus Maximus VI Extreme||Zotac GTX Titan X Sli||Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 4x8gb 10-12-12-31-1T||Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb x 2 + Crucial MX100 512gb x 2||Creative Soundblaster Zx||WD Black 2tb & 2x1tb||Ek Supremacy Nickel Acetal+EK M6e Nickel Acetal+EK Titan X Nickel Acetal + Ek Red Backplate+Ek Dual D5 Top & 150 X3 Res+HWLABS GTX Nemesis 560+280+6xNoctua Redux 1500rpm||Corsair AX1200+Corsair Red Sleeves||Silverstone Temjin 11

I have had the same issue. I found out if i have to many usb devices connected it would take ages for my pc to boot. Now i disconnect my external hard drives and other stuff and it boots almost instant

But i dont know if you problem is related to that

the_wire_man wrote:
I have had the same issue. I found out if i have to many usb devices connected it would take ages for my pc to boot. Now i disconnect my external hard drives and other stuff and it boots almost instant

But i dont know if you problem is related to that

theres a option in ure boot setting to change usb init. u can just change it to init keyboard/mouse at boot. ( just means u cant use them in the bios or boot).

i7 4790k@4.7ghz 1.28v||Asus Maximus VI Extreme||Zotac GTX Titan X Sli||Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 4x8gb 10-12-12-31-1T||Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb x 2 + Crucial MX100 512gb x 2||Creative Soundblaster Zx||WD Black 2tb & 2x1tb||Ek Supremacy Nickel Acetal+EK M6e Nickel Acetal+EK Titan X Nickel Acetal + Ek Red Backplate+Ek Dual D5 Top & 150 X3 Res+HWLABS GTX Nemesis 560+280+6xNoctua Redux 1500rpm||Corsair AX1200+Corsair Red Sleeves||Silverstone Temjin 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip the joy of USB rears its happy head again. It does all depend on what kind and how many devices are connected via USB - keyboards with USB hubs that are powered often give the most hassle I have found.

That pause at hand over the bloom thing is as you know the point of hand over, so if there is any instability or set of devices that have not been configured by the POST process there is a delay or hang at that point.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

freebo09
Level 7
I had a similar problem and what helped me write cstkl1. After uninstalling the driver Asmedia everything is ok
Asus Maximus VI GENE
i5 4670K
Trelmalright Ultra 120 Extreme
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
Saphire HD 7950
Seasonic M12 II 620
Samsung 840 Pro

iblen
Level 7
Problem persist on VII hero. There are no solutions that makes sense. Disabling asmedia ports doesn't fix anything. It's not a "to many usb devices" issue. It may be a general usb issue, it may be AIO cooler that halt up system, in that case it's the same for both h100i and kraken x61. I have tested optional mouse/keyboard that works perfectly on different comp without any difference. The USB devices are fine, including AIO cooler.

I have had more success disconnecting network cable. Not thoroughly tested, but it passed numerous tests, its getting easy to reproduce the error, which is inconsistent. Like 1/3 of boots are slow.

Everything points toward MB and win7. I put my fist to the table and say: This MB is NOT compatible with win7. I'm even currently having a new issue, getting exclamation mark on AMDA00 Interface. Some component of Asus for AI suite. I don't use AI suite (doh), it's labeled as a resource for win8.1.

Another highly likely cause of issues are intel's treatment of Samsung SSD where obviously you don't want to be running IRST, but MB require components from IRST forcing you to install it anyway. Works fine to uninstall it afterwards, but there's no effect on performance, which is strangled to a slow by intels' incapability of making functional drivers to their hardware. You don't even need the MB drivers installed. I have been greeted by the error before installing any drivers, and on loading WINDOWS INSTALL boot from bios.

So not surprisingly I conclude this MB is NOT win7 compatible. I'm looking at having a expense equal to the MB's value to have retailer confirm my suspicion. Really. IDK what windows is doing, but it could be that it tries to go online looking for sense on usb drivers, or something. I'm not surprised that it struggle with AIO coolers. This board should however be 100% compatible with them and there should be no performance impact. If there is, exclusively for win7. That's incompatibility.

That being said. System works 100% otherwise. OK memtests, passing benchmarks etc. This doesn't excuse the other issues though. Incompatibility have been proved long before starting any benchmark.

So yea, I am likely to RMA this board due to no win7 compatibility.

Ironically I RMA'd two Asus GPU's originally bought together with this board for not being 8.1 compatible. 8.1 didn't want drivers for them at all, was stuck with microsoft gpu driver. The GPU's were labeled 8.1 compatible. Just another proof that Asus ship out high end hardware that have serious compatibility issues. The GPU's carried a old chipset which were not compatible, but despite that Asus had labeled them otherwise.