cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which model should I go with?

MauricioNO
Level 7
Hello Rogers!
I have been searching for awhile now a good laptop for me to use some heavy engineering related software and for gaming purposes on my free time. And I have been going back and forth between these two G series models:

G55VW-DH71
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891165-REG/asus_g55vw_dh71_republic_of_gamers_g55vw_dh71.html

G750JW-DB71
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983613-REG/asus_g750jw_db71_17_3_notebook_computer.html

I was decided to go for the G55 because G750 was 1.399, but all of a sudden B&H drops it's price to 1.217 ! And it's not the version with less RAM and stuff, it's the exactly same model other places have been selling for 1.399.

So now I am a little bit confused and here is why:
I don't live in the US(I'll be visiting NYC very soon to pick this up) so I kind of need to go for the one that I'll most likely not have to RMA. And I haven't seen many complaint on the forums about the G55, opposed to the G750 version, that seems to have a screen issue with quite a significant amount of people.
So if you happen to have the G750 and it's been nothing but awesomeness to you, I would love to hear that, because on the forums people only post whenever they are having some trouble.

Opinions are very welcome!
Thank you
8 REPLIES 8

rewben
Level 13
i suggest you go for g75vx.

although i am not sure what engineering software that you're using, but i think cpu is important when it involves computing. a g750 has a soldered cpu. that pretty much limits you from switching to more powerful cpu later on.

a g55 is fine if you have convenient access to service center. due to its compact design, and no access to fans, simple maintenance such as cleaning up fans and vents is best to be carried out by the people at service center, in order to keep the warranty. (also, note that the gpu 660m in a g55 is aging really fast)

also, if you insisted on getting a g750, it's better to get a g750jx. its gpu (770m) is relatively time-proof than the one in jw.

Anvirol
Level 7
G750 is a huge ass notebook and not very "mobile". 15" models are probably more practical.
i7-7700k @ 5GHz | Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero | 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4133 MHz | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC 11 Gbps | ASUS MG279Q | Intel 256GB 600p NVMe | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Pitcher1
Level 9
G750 is newly and spec is high, ofcourse price is high, alos you are able to select G75VX or VW win 8 version, i think it is more cheap.

MauricioNO
Level 7
Thanks for the opinions guys!
Even though the G750 is probably the best buy, I think I'll go with the G55 as Anvirol suggested. Mostly because I'll be carrying this littlle monster around college quite often. I just wish Asus had a G550 😛

Thanks again 😉

Mitrofanych
Level 7
Good day guys. I've decided to buy a new 15'6 inch notebook for programming and gaming purposes and choose G55VW. But as I can see it is comparatively old model (about 1 year old), so I would like to ask will there be something new with 15'6 inch screen in the nearest future - autumn for example?

Thanks in advance!!

As for new models everything is clear. And what about upgrade of G55VW? Maybe some new edition. If no when it is the best time to buy it, I mean low prises or smth?

The G55 is still a current laptop as far as models go. If you can hold off until early next week I'll be able to tell you if there will be any rebates or coupons for August.

Also, I wouldn't accept any claims on potential products or release dates from non ASUS authorized sources.

Mitrofanych wrote:
As for new models everything is clear. And what about upgrade of G55VW? Maybe some new edition. If no when it is the best time to buy it, I mean low prises or smth?

Intel Dude wrote:
I am friends with people from the ASUS management
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Intel Dude wrote:
No there wont be

How do you 'Know' this ???