cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise for FX-9590/9370 (Centurian) users on C5F-Z/Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

X-ROG
Level 15
AMD has validated the Crosshair V and Sabertooth 990FX as for use with its new FX 9590 and 9370 CPUs, however there is some advise we'd like to add for users upgrading (or even users running their FX-8350s at ~5GHz frequencies).

1) You MUST plug in the 8pin and 4pin CPU 12V power plugs: they are there for this kind of usage! A 5GHz FX CPU will certainly draw over the 300W limit on the 8pin cable. If your PSU has good OCT it will simply cut out and your system will suffer hard-reboots. If not, it will likely melt poorly constructed PSUs with cheap wiring under extensive stress, unless your PSU is specifically fitted with heavy-gauge (lower AUG rating) wiring.

2) Do not disable OCP if you're running 24/7, it will protect your CPU. If you're trying to run extreme voltage for benchmarking you will have to turn it off, but in that case we strongly recommend watercooling (or at least chilling) the VRMs.

3) As you'd expect, when pulling close to 400W the VRMs run hot. At a minimum active cooling from direct case airflow is therefore a must (and watch those temps). Still, we strongly recommend watercooling the VRMs (EK does a good block) and do NOT loop CPU into VRMs: create two loops. When you consider your loops take into account the heat you're trying to shift: we advise looking at >1 large radiators and/or even a chiller system is maybe worth considering if you're running several high-power items together.

Given the price of CPU and expected total system cost anyway, we don't feel it's unreasonable to match such a premium setup with the right hardware. After all, this is what extreme PCs are all about 🙂
48 REPLIES 48

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Considering the 9590 is a higher binned 8350, I doubt we'll see too many systems here with one. I'd imagine the heat output as you already mentioned will be ridiculous. Good advice though about not looping VRM's with CPU 🙂

X-ROG
Level 15
5GHz FX8350 users should already know from experience to keep their VRMs cool, and I'm not sure how many run that frequency day-in-day-out 🙂

ganji
Level 13
I don't plan on upgrading from my 8350 but have a question regarding the 4 pin for the cpu. On my Corsair Ax 850 it will either run multiple gpu's or use the 4pin for the cpu. So as i have a sli setup i can't connect the 4pin and wondered what peoples take on molex to 4pin adapters was?
I've not had any experience with them and would usually avoid such a thing.

ElectricKoolaid
Level 7
i don't see an adapter being a problem. its only going to provide more available current, not voltage. but i'm not pro or anything.

:)...VRM is OK with some aircooler fan (of course watter could be better).

But my FX-8350 is better than this FX-9590... 5GHz stable easy, there first ES Centurion not 😞
Who knows me, knows me ;)....AMD 3000+, AMD x2 4600+ EE, AMD X4 955 BE C2,2x AMD X4 965 BE C3, AMD X4 970 BE C3, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD x6 1100T BE, 2x AMD FX-8120, 2x AMD FX-8150, FX-6300, FX-8300, FX-8320E, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, FX-8370E, FX-9370, FX-9590, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, A8-5600K, A10-5800K, A10-6800K, A10-7850K, A10-7870K, A 5150, Athlon x4 860K, Intel i7-5960X, i7-6700K, Intel i7-4770K, Intel i7-980x, Intel i7 2600k, Intel i7-3770K, i7-3930K.

I believe the Centurion is better for LN2 than for water cooling.

ElectricKoolaid wrote:
i don't see an adapter being a problem. its only going to provide more available current, not voltage. but i'm not pro or anything.

CHECK your wiring and don't use two molex on the same cable! If it has >18 AUG wiring I would say don't do it, normally they are 18 AUG on molex and SATA and 16 AUG for PCIe/8pin CPU, but some companies might try to save money by thinner wires. I haven't reviewed a PSU in 4 years though so I'm not sure the situation now sorry.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
CHECK your wiring and don't use two molex on the same cable! If it has >18 AUG wiring I would say don't do it, normally they are 18 AUG on molex and SATA and 16 AUG for PCIe/8pin CPU, but some companies might try to save money by thinner wires. I haven't reviewed a PSU in 4 years though so I'm not sure the situation now sorry.

Thanks for the info Marshall
I think i may just avoid it and not go for high oc's as me and anything to do with wiring are a mix for disaster 😮 Unless anybody can recommend a known safe option other than another new psu.
I think the info on the Ax850 is slightly missleading and if i'd have known then i wouldn't have bought it. Nevermind aye!

Zka17
Level 16
Thank you Richard, that's a nice piece of info!

I was just thinking to make a parallel loop and detach the CPU from the mobo loop... just a little bit concerned about the different restrictions/different flow... - but will see soon!