cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 Processor stuck at .77Ghz when unplugged [solved w/new bios]

Musicmatters
Level 7
Experienced an unscheduled and unexpected shutdown today, after which Windows did yet another update Ever since then, the CPU has been stuck at .77GHz.

I've rebooted, shutdown, pulled the battery, and changed the power option to both high performance and the ASUS power gear settings to no avail.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

TIA,

Craig

EDIT by cl-Albert: 1. Since the G750JW 208 bios was released first to solve this, there is also an alternate thread New 208 JX and 205 JH BIOS on support.asus.com for the G750JX and G750JH if anybody is interested.

2. Also, after you update the bios, if you have Power4Gear installed, don't forget to change the Power4Gear setting as mentioned by hmscott in this thread CPU still at .80 [solved]

3. Although it doesn't make a lot of sense, 1 member reported " the stress from folding did the trick" if anybody needs to try this: Funny thing happened with my core being stuck at .77 GhZ on battery
151 REPLIES 151

Musicmatters
Level 7
BTW, it's a 750JW...

The_Thing
Level 8
Hi there!

Do you have Intel XTU installed? I think that may provide you an answer though I'm not sure...... . Maybe re-installing windows will solve your problem but I dunno.....never experienced such thing.

Peace out chap!

Musicmatters
Level 7
Just rolled back to an earlier restore point and all is well again...

The_Thing
Level 8
Oh, good to hear that. Hopefully you are happy with your system now 😄 enjoy

Slavisha
Level 10
Bro , im glad you got everything sorted but just quick note to this issue since i had it too. Nothing is wrong with your PC, what makes your processor run at .77 is the power settings. For some reason by default my computer was set to run with less processor power. Go to Power4Gear and make sure that regardless on battery or plugged in your maximum processor power is not limited to 60% or so.
Worked for me. 🙂
Best,
Slav

@Slavisha, thanks for the answer, because depending on your processor load, .77GHz may be the idle frequency. You need to actually stress the computer to get it to ramp up the processor speed, depending on your power profile.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

hmscott
Level 12
I see you have already reloaded the OS, but if you run into this again, you might check to see the setting of the "Asus Power4Gear Hybrid" app setting.

Even though I selected the High Performance Power4Gear power plan manually through the Windows Power Options control panel, after a reboot it reset to the Power4Gear Battery Saving setting,

The Power4Gear Battery Saving plan is the one that seems like it sticks the processor speed to around 800mhz - actually it will ramp up higher - all the way to full speed - but it takes longer to react than the High Performance plan.

Running a processor intensive application like prime95.exe running 4-8 threads pushed the clock up when using the Power4Gear Battery Saving plan - while plugged in to AC Power.

Musicmatters wrote:
Experienced an unscheduled and unexpected shutdown today, after which Windows did yet another update Ever since then, the CPU has been stuck at .77GHz.

I've rebooted, shutdown, pulled the battery, and changed the power option to both high performance and the ASUS power gear settings to no avail.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

TIA,

Craig

Musicmatters
Level 7
My problem is back! i checked the settings in the Asus Power4Gear Hybrid app and set the processor power management maximum to 100%, and rebooted... Still stuck at 770mhz.
Opened Adobe Premiere Pro and setup a render... processor speed did not change despite the load on the system...

Open to any other ideas on this

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
What are you using to monitor the processor speed? CPU-Z? other software?