cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74 Backpack Selection

SLKStang
Level 7
I've recently acquired my G74SX-XA1. I.E. I have no way of taking this thing anywhere... There are too few selections that will fit this behemoth, but I think I've narrowed it down to 3. My selection criteria was:

1) Large enough to fit the G74 comfortably
2) Additional capacity to carry books, clothing or other work stuff
3) Exterior water bottle holder
4) High Quality of materials
5) Somewhat muted looks

All 3 of my selections have their downsides. I'm deciding between:

Slappa MASK High Five - Very costly

Everki Beacon - No External water bottle holder

Targus XL

Open to other suggestions based on my criteria.

Any help is greatly appreciated 🙂

-- Steve
43 REPLIES 43

Chastity
Level 10
With the Everki model, the G74 only fits one way, and some may not like that it reaches up to the zipper. Otherwise it's a great bag. The Targus it will fit very well, tho imo it needs a little additional padding. No experience with the SLAPPA, sorry.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

More padding for the laptop or more padding for the person carrying it?

SLKStang wrote:
More padding for the laptop or more padding for the person carrying it?

That might depend on the person. Some of my friends already have extra natural padding. 😉
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
That might depend on the person. Some of my friends already have extra natural padding. 😉

Thing with my padding is it isn't where my backpack goes. 😉

Chastity
Level 10
More padding for the laptop.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Roland3
Level 7
Anyone likes/hates the original Asus ROG backpack (for G73/G74). I wonder the padding in Asus ROG backpack is enough for G73/G74, or should I get a better one for traveling around?

reiyu
Level 7
i like the original bag that comes with g53/73. i use it for school too.

Xempt
Level 7
Just to toss this out there for you but I just got the Oakley Kitchen Sink packback for my G73SW. It doesn't fit in the notebook section only just by an inch but with the different shape of the G74 it might.

But what I do is put in in the main compartment of the backpack instead and place anything and everything else in the notebook side. The backpack has more than enough pockets and room to carry just about everything you'd need and it is also very comfortable to wear. I used it while I went up to Seattle from So. Cal and loved it. I had my G73 the whole time and had no compaints.

In the pack I was able to carry my G73, Power Adapter, iPod, Pens, iPhone, 2 jackets, 2 water bottles, and snacks without ever having it busting at the seams. And I still had room in the other side pocket.

Also if you're not sure about size just take your notebook with you and do a test fit right in the store, thats what I did before I purchased it. (if you have a store local)

Just another option for you.
Laptop:
ASUS G73SW
Upgrades:
Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 PnP 16GB (4x4)
Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Solid State Hybrid Drive
Intel i7-2820QM

Desktop:
EVGA X58 3x SLI Classified, Intel i7-920, CoolerMaster V8 CPU Fan, 12Gb Corsair Dominator GT, 2x EVGA GTX 295 in Quad SLI, 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 3x Seagate Enterprise 500Gb HDD's, CoolerMaster HAF X, ULTRA X3 1000w PSU, Logitech G15, Logitech G9x, Dual 24" 1080p Monitors

Retired
Not applicable
I just did some research I notice the G74 is slightly larger than the G73
The G74 does not fit the slappa mask high five, just off. I have asked them if they have anything else that fits
The Evereki beacon does not fit the G74 according to specs but I see the Evereki titan check does fit
If the targus xl does not have enough padding that is a big problem... the G74 really needs decent protection

SLKStang wrote:
I've recently acquired my G74SX-XA1. I.E. I have no way of taking this thing anywhere... There are too few selections that will fit this behemoth, but I think I've narrowed it down to 3. My selection criteria was:

1) Large enough to fit the G74 comfortably
2) Additional capacity to carry books, clothing or other work stuff
3) Exterior water bottle holder
4) High Quality of materials
5) Somewhat muted looks

All 3 of my selections have their downsides. I'm deciding between:

Slappa MASK High Five - Very costly

Everki Beacon - No External water bottle holder

Targus XL

Open to other suggestions based on my criteria.

Any help is greatly appreciated 🙂

-- Steve