cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New i7 3910K - the last new SB-E CPU

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
The title says it all, it's the 39xx series, got a k on it, it just may be a 6 core and the last SB-E CPU before IB-E is launched in about 2 months time.

Intel's Core i7 "Ivy Bridge-E" series may be less than two months away from seeing the light of the day, but in the run up to that, a curious-looking Core i7-3910K "Sandy Bridge-E" part cropped up on roadmaps with retailers. We're pretty sure it's not a typo misread by someone for "i7-3970X," because the list even mentions the S-spec code "SR0TN," which doesn't correspond with the "SR0WR" s-spec code of the i7-3970X.

The Core i7-3910K is based on the same Sandy Bridge-E C2-stepping silicon as the i7-3970X, and is said to feature 3.00 GHz clock speed. There's no clarity on exactly how many cores it features, but given that it's named in the i7-3900 series, and not the i7-3800 series, we're leaning toward it being a six-core part. A bid by Intel to clear out "imperfect" Sandy Bridge-E silicon by giving it a relatively low clock speed? We doubt that, it features the "K" brand extension, which denotes unlocked base-clock multiplier. Intel's cheapest LGA2011 six-core part is the i7-3930K, which goes for roughly US $550. If Intel prices this chip just right, by that we mean $400-ish, it could be a tease for all those shelling out $350 for a Core i7-4770K. Low clock speed, but unlocked. Two extra cores, quad-channel memory, and a bigger PCIe budget, albeit an older micro-architecture. Decisions, decisions.

http://www.techpowerup.com/187696/curious-looking-core-i7-3910k-lga2011-processor-surfaces.html

Nothing to be found on Intel's website though, of course lol...but it seems Forums and review sites are blowing up with it already.
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
The key question is price point. What does it cost, and that will make all the difference to both the LGA2011 motherboard sales and 4770K based system sales.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
The key question is price point. What does it cost, and that will make all the difference to both the LGA2011 motherboard sales and 4770K based system sales.

Seems a lot of people, including retailers are hoping it's between 400 and 450 USD. Pricing it close to the 4770K

HiVizMan
Level 40
It would need to be below the 4770K actually, the reason for this move in my view is that take up of the LGA2011 socket has not been as good as Intel have hoped so they are now trying to get a surge of buy in just before the next gen, move old wafer that has sat in the factory and build up a base of users who will upgrade in a year or eighteen months time again.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
It would need to be below the 4770K actually, the reason for this move in my view is that take up of the LGA2011 socket has not been as good as Intel have hoped so they are now trying to get a surge of buy in just before the next gen, move old wafer that has sat in the factory and build up a base of users who will upgrade in a year or eighteen months time again.

I'd have to agree with you completely mate, the price should be lower than the 4770K. When I saw that article above, I found myself getting excited...that I might be able to afford one of the last SB-E CPU's before IB-E comes in lol :cool:

HiVizMan
Level 40
Indeed and with a six core then world is your oyster....

HiVizMan wrote:
Indeed and with a six core then world is your oyster....

A rather tasty 6C12T oyster, yes...I just called a CPU tasty ROFL!!! :cool:

HiVizMan
Level 40
Do not spare the Tabasco mate... darn it now I am hungry again and I want oysters.

HiVizMan wrote:
Do not spare the Tabasco mate... darn it now I am hungry again and I want oysters.

lmfao your fault entirely 😛

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Word has it, it's going to be $350 USD!!! 😄 so about 4-450 AUD for me to pick one up....might have to *try* and scrape together the cash to pick one up :cool:

Translator will be needed: http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/36305/intel-brengt-nog-een-sandy-bridge-e-processor-uit