cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73JH Motherboard/Power Jack Problem

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys, recently my battery died, and so no biggy, I bought a new one which is working perfectly. However now I always have to adjust the power cord and move it in some weird positions so my laptop recognizes it. I am guessing either the mainboard is somehow damaged or just the power jack. I mean I can still charge and everything it is just so difficult and I can hardly move the laptop or it gets disconnected. So I don't really have the nerves nor the time to go through a RMA. So I was thinking of buying http://www.dcpowerjacks.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1304 and then fixing it myself. I just don't know if it will fix the problem.

Hope someone can provide some help or tips.

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
Are you comfortable with a soldering iron? If not then I would seriously reconsider a self-repair. You don't know what's wrong with it until you disassemble it either so I would not buy the replacement jack until you are sure that's all you will need.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Yes soldering wouldn't be a big problem, however I am kinda afraid of reassembling the laptop again. Mainly because of the screen and not the rest. Yes good point, hope it's not the mainboard though. That would be terrible 😕

Retired
Not applicable
Bumping this again

xeromist
I'm not sure that I can add much, but I'll try. First off you should not need to remove the screen so I would not worry about that. Second, I would recommend taking pictures as you take it apart and taping sets of screws together with packing/scotch tape. If I remove a heat shield held down by 4 screws then I tape the 4 screws to it and take a picture of how things went together. If you ever get lost you can always review the pictures. And obviously do not force anything 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Ok thanks for the help, I expected the new power adapter to arrive on Saturday and so I already disassembled my G73JH on Wednesday, I believe. However turns out that I will probably get the power adapter tomorrow. 😕 I wanted to try a new power adapter before I replace the power jack. And the power jack looks okay but I ordered one just to make sure. Will see what happens, maybe there is no need to replace the power jack. yay 😄

Check online with youtube as I have seen one company ( sorry don't remember the name ) give a very detailed teardown of the Asus g73jh or sw... Good luck

Pseudo2011 wrote:
Check online with youtube as I have seen one company ( sorry don't remember the name ) give a very detailed teardown of the Asus g73jh or sw... Good luck

I've replaced many jacks on laptops in the past on other laptop models. This is a VERY common mechanical failure because many people are careless on torquing and/or bumping the plug. Many times it is not the post pin, but a crack of one of the solder connections within.

Good Luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp90M_N6dzs

http://www.laptopjacks.com/

I have the exact same problem on my g73sw. Would like to know if you made any progress, before I send mine in to Asus.

I had the problem multiple times and finally put a jumper wire in because the solider keeps breaking do to the design of the connector.