cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74SX-A1 Keyboard - Acts Like CTRL Key is Stuck

tripinva
Level 7
Hello again,

I just had to reboot my system (in Linux, ouch) because my computer started to act like I was holding down the CTRL key whenever I pressed anything. I'm not really sure what to make of this, but I hope it does not turn into a regular problem (or if it does, that a BIOS update can fix it).

Not sure where else to comment on this, so I just made a new thread. Please move if appropriate. Thanks! 🙂

- Trip
24 REPLIES 24

xeromist
Does tapping the actual control keys have any effect? Occasionally when I've had a key get stuck in the buffer it's because there was a press down but no release signal. Pressing the actual key issues another down but then an up which resets everything. I know that doesn't really find the cause but it's easier than a reboot. Oh, but I don't have one of those machines so I'm not sure that my stuck key problem is related to yours.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

tripinva
Level 7
No, I tried pressing it multiple times and that had no effect. I tried pressing both of them, actually, multiple times. Stayed stuck until I rebooted.

- Trip

xeromist
Ah, worth a shot! 😞

Hopefully it never happens again 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I am having the same issue. It seems to happen most when I'm working, not gaming, and going back and for from mouse to keyboard a lot. If anyone can figure out what's triggering it or how to stop it once it starts, I'd be really grateful. Hard to develop software when you're keyboard doesn't work 🙂

Retired
Not applicable
i am also having this problem. i was playing L4D2 and was continuously crouching. although if i pressed it 5 or 6 times it would fix it for a minute or so. also it was not triggered by my pressing of the cntrl key (it just happpened) wtf??

also on possibly a related note, whilst playing L4D2 and space marine im encountering a problem where after about and hour or so of playing, when i press and hold any key my system hangs/lags for the duration of the key press, when i release it goes back to normal untill my next key press. the only fix for this is to reboot 😞 i have the latest vbios and bios updates and also have the atk fix etc...

any help on this will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Retired
Not applicable
I'm also having this problem. I flashed the BIOS 202 update Chastity has on her drivers page as well as uninstalling and re-installing the ATK package. It's a really annoying problem.

pdorion
Level 7
having the same exact problem. even after attaching an external keyboard its still stuck until rebooted.

Chastity
Level 10
Sounds like some background process hijacking the keystrokes. I'd start disabling some background processes to find the culprit.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

I too have this same issue. From the very first time I've purchased the laptop. This is annoying. Sometimes I have been able to "reset" the keyboard by switching to a virtual machine and typing in it. Other times, this technique does not work.

There must be a way to do a keyboard reset, no?