cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking a gtx770M

crusen257
Level 7
Im not an expert so I didn't want to proceed without some suggestions.
To what extent is it safe to over clock the 770M? Also, can anyone post a before-after overclocking performance, just to see if it's worth it?
Thank you
23 REPLIES 23

StereoROG
Level 7
I'm surprised no one has replied to your question yet.

1 - I dont have the G750 with the gtx 770m graphics card so I can't give you a a clear asnwer.

2 - U dont need to be expert to overclock these days as the only thing u need to do is to download a software that allows you to do that, from what i see you haven't got any experience in OC'ing so to point number 3.

3 - Overclocking will avoid warranty as you are doing something outside the rules and regulations so if you are unsure than forget about it.

4 - With mobile graphics you cant expect to have a big difference in performance bcozzzz :

1 - Overclocking = producing more heat ( the G75 had a gr8 cooling module , which i think is used on the G750 series so as long as ur overclocking slowly that should be fine ( please do more research as this is my personal opinion) but still you are LIMITED

2 - If you are overclocking a lot which is pushing the graphics card that might reduce the lifespan of the graphics card

5 - I use MSI afterburner on my 670m on demanding games you will get between 1 to 5 percent extra performance as you see that is not a big difference in FPS getting t 2 or 5 extra frames per second will not make a big difference on the eye IN MY OPINION !!!!

IF you want to overclock start increasing the clock value slowly keep the margin small to be safe, then test for artifacts and keep an eye on the temperatures with GPU-Z. go up slowly till u get that extra frames that satisfies you. Youtube "how to Overclock and you'll get a step by step guide if your not familiar with the vocabulary )

for direct advice for ur card ( GTX 770m ) i hope ull get a response with exact numbers.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

yesterday I tried playing Remember Me with everything at maximum, including the monstrous supersampling. I was getting 35 fps with some dips below 30 so I decided to overclock a little and using MSI afterburner I set +135MHz to the core and +450 to memory clock and got 45 fps in the same environment. That is a nearly 30% increase, and the maximum GPU temperature was 72°C. So the 770M is very easily overclockable and the G750's cooling system remained unimpressed despite that. 😛
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

StereoROG
Level 7
Well there is a big difference between the 670m and 770m of course with the 770m having the new architecture which dissipates less heat and having the capability to get more OC out of it.

Have you pushed it to the max? or did anyone else have the OC numbers on this forum?

Thanks

Flea0
Level 10
+135 core clock is the maximum that afterburner allows me to do, but memory can go to +1000, but I wasn't trying to push it.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Suspirion
Level 7
I tried to max it out, but its unstable for me (nvidia beta drivers crash, perhaps when they release standard ones I might have more success). Best I have is +135 core and +800 memory, could perhaps tweak it a bit more, but this is ok for me. Temps didn't go higher than 75

StereoROG
Level 7
Same with me when i max out my card Nvidia crashes so its not the beta thingy its just that the card can't handle the load i guess.

Anyway thanks for trying this can help a lot of people to know the margin they need to stick with.

Cheers bro

The_Thing
Level 8
Well, I just used MSI Afterburner and clocked the gfx card like Flea0 did and I got +!5 fps in Borderlands 2. I was getting 30-35 fps in combat now the minimum fps was 45 ( and that's when there are a lot of psychos ^_^ ). Proof that oc'ing mobile cards works and improves the gaming experience.

rye017
Level 7
Just for curiosity I tried overclocking my 770M using EVGA Precision X and ran some benchmarks:

GPU + 100Mhz
Memory +450Mhz

Overclocked setting improved my benchmark tests by 15FPS. I didn't go for higher numbers because it was unstable already and getting some artifacts. Although I have always remained to default setting because I never needed to overclock for my gaming and usage so far...

TekNiko
Level 8
I'm using MSI Afterburner for overclocking. I can get away with +135 Mhz on the Core Clock and +500 Mhz on the memory clock and be able to have stable play sessions. I tried to raise the memory clock to +800 Mhz but the nVidia drivers occasionally crash. I'd say you get a good 10% increased performance out of the gtx 770m when you overclock. Pretty happy with it 🙂