+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ASUS Maximus VI Hero - RAM configuration

ROG Member Wesker +10

ASUS Maximus VI Hero - RAM configuration

Hi guys. I am a bit confused regarding which ram slots are optimal for running dual channel memory. In the original guide sent with the mobo and also on the asus website it shows the recommended slots are the black ones. In the latest guide it now says the recommended slots are the red ones.

On the Maximus VI Extreme Performance Tuning Guide (granted that is the extreme and I have the Hero) it also says the red slots.

Was the original guide a misprint? Or does the slots change when you update to the latest bios?

Red or Black slots?

On a separate note, I am running on the stock bios and never bothered to update as I happily have my 4770k @ 4.7GHz adaptive stable. Did not see anything worth updating to in the new bios, unless I am wrong someone can please enlighten me.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by Wesker; 07-30-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Super Moderator HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan's Avatar

Please go with the V2 edition. As that is the most up-to-date.

ROG Member Wesker +10

Thanks HiVizMan. Any ideas as to why the sudden change? I would have never realised if not for that Maximus VI Extreme Performance Tuning Guide + talking with a friend afterwards.

Also if anyone else can chime in regarding this + the bios question, it would be much appreciated

Oops missed the second question.

If your system is doing what you need it to do then there is no need to change your bios at all.

I have Maximus hero and I use the Black slots because of may True Spirit 140.
    I thought they were all the same, and Linus usually advise use the slots farther the cpu.
    -> My Gaming PC <- i5 4670K @ 4.2 GHz 1.165v, Maximus VI Hero, Thermalright True Spirit 140 BW, G Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 1866mhz CL9, MSI GTX 770 TwinFrozr Gaming OC 2GB, XFX Pro 750W Core Edition, Kingston SSDnow 300v 120G, Western Digital Blue 1TB, Zalman Z11 Plus, Razer Abyssus, ROG Orion, Dell U2312HM

T-Topology trace routing provides a performance advantage to slots one and three.

You can use both, and 99/100 times it will not make any difference so really it is up to the build of your case.

Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    T-Topology trace routing provides a performance advantage to slots one and three.
    What is T-Topology trace rounting?
    -> My Gaming PC <- i5 4670K @ 4.2 GHz 1.165v, Maximus VI Hero, Thermalright True Spirit 140 BW, G Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 1866mhz CL9, MSI GTX 770 TwinFrozr Gaming OC 2GB, XFX Pro 750W Core Edition, Kingston SSDnow 300v 120G, Western Digital Blue 1TB, Zalman Z11 Plus, Razer Abyssus, ROG Orion, Dell U2312HM

It is all to do with how long and where the traces are from the memory slots and the CPU. Think of a trace as a bit of wire like in a circuit. All that matters is that you can use the memory slots that you are currently using without any hassle.

Just enjoy your system my friend.

ROG Member Wesker +10

I just changed my ram from the black slots to the reds out of curiosity. I actually found that in the black slots they were roughly 0.3% better. lol.

I cannot be bothered to switch them back now. But next time I am in there I may do so.

It is a possibility that the person updating the manual got confused with the maximus extreme and recommended the red slots over the black ones which is what is recommended in the original manual.

Either way as mentioned above, makes little to no difference which slots you go for it seems

Would still love to hear from an ASUS rep as to why this change was made however.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast