cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus VI Hero - RAM configuration

Wesker
Level 7
Hi guys. I am a bit confused regarding which ram slots are optimal for running dual channel memory. In the original guide sent with the mobo and also on the asus website it shows the recommended slots are the black ones. In the latest guide it now says the recommended slots are the red ones.

On the Maximus VI Extreme Performance Tuning Guide (granted that is the extreme and I have the Hero) it also says the red slots.

Was the original guide a misprint? Or does the slots change when you update to the latest bios?

Red or Black slots?

On a separate note, I am running on the stock bios and never bothered to update as I happily have my 4770k @ 4.7GHz adaptive stable. Did not see anything worth updating to in the new bios, unless I am wrong someone can please enlighten me.

Thanks all.
13 REPLIES 13

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please go with the V2 edition. As that is the most up-to-date.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks HiVizMan. Any ideas as to why the sudden change? I would have never realised if not for that Maximus VI Extreme Performance Tuning Guide + talking with a friend afterwards.

Also if anyone else can chime in regarding this + the bios question, it would be much appreciated 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
Oops missed the second question.

If your system is doing what you need it to do then there is no need to change your bios at all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DSD27
Level 7
I have Maximus hero and I use the Black slots because of may True Spirit 140.
I thought they were all the same, and Linus usually advise use the slots farther the cpu.

Praz
Level 13
T-Topology trace routing provides a performance advantage to slots one and three.

Praz wrote:
T-Topology trace routing provides a performance advantage to slots one and three.

What is T-Topology trace rounting?

HiVizMan
Level 40
You can use both, and 99/100 times it will not make any difference so really it is up to the build of your case.

HiVizMan
Level 40
It is all to do with how long and where the traces are from the memory slots and the CPU. Think of a trace as a bit of wire like in a circuit. All that matters is that you can use the memory slots that you are currently using without any hassle.

Just enjoy your system my friend.

I just changed my ram from the black slots to the reds out of curiosity. I actually found that in the black slots they were roughly 0.3% better. lol.

I cannot be bothered to switch them back now. But next time I am in there I may do so.

It is a possibility that the person updating the manual got confused with the maximus extreme and recommended the red slots over the black ones which is what is recommended in the original manual.

Either way as mentioned above, makes little to no difference which slots you go for it seems 🙂

Would still love to hear from an ASUS rep as to why this change was made however.