cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth Z87 - Bios Clock Issue

Krait
Level 7
The basic problem is that the clock in the UEFI bios stops working on a regular basis.

I can remove the battery and it will restart (at least for a day or two) but it always stops again - I've tried 4 different batteries and the longest that the clock continued to work was 8 days.
It's only the clock that doesn't work (at least as far as I know) - all the other bios settings stay the same (except when resetting cmos ofc)
I've tried it at stock and OC'ed and it still persists in stopping, I've also tried using my older PSU (Seasonic 860 xp1) and the same result.

I suppose it's either a bios problem (bios 1205) or a MB fault but if anyone has a suggestion for me to try, in case it's neither of these, it would be most welcome.
🙂
Asus Sabertooth z87 - 4670k - Alpenfohn K2 - Corsair 16gb LP Vengeance - VTX 7970 - Arctic Cooling 7970 - DGM 27" IPS - Crucial 512gb/128gb/64gb M4 - Seagate 2TB - Xigmatek Elysium - Seasonic Platinum 860 XP2
172 REPLIES 172

Andydigital
Level 7
I know this isn't the correct forum section to post in but the topic is relevant. I have the exact same problem with a Maximus 6 Extreme, bios version 711. Everything seems to work OK but the clock in the BIOS is frozen at whatever time windows set it to when closing down the PC. I first notice the problem when waking up from sleep and find out that the time froze at what ever time I put the PC to sleep. Time starts moving again in windows as you wake the PC but the clock will only carry on from where it left off when put to sleep. Clearing the BIOS and reloading my profile starts the clock moving again in the BIOS but it only lasts for a few days then does it again. I've not figured out what triggers it yet, but it certainly isn't a flat battery, I tried changing it.

Raja
Level 13
Re-flash the latest UEFI, and clear CMOS with the board in standby (this will reset the management engine). See if that helps.

-Raja

Hello Raja,

I have the exact same problem. I'd appreciate if you can suggest a solution to this problem. My RTC clock fails, too, after a few days or a week of regular use. I haven't been able to track down any trigger, either. The symptoms are:
-in BIOS screen (easy mode) the clock is stopped; if it is running, RTC is fine
-at every bootup the clock is reset to the time when it failed (until RTC is reset by unplugging PSU and triggering RTC reset with jumper on motherboard)
-the clock seems to fail at the time of Windows shutdown or overclock system bluescreen; or possibly it fails at startup of the system, one or the other of those two; I never noticed it to fail during use, the frozen RTC time is always a prior shutdown or reboot time
-stock clock, overclock, crashing overclock... can't see any difference
-when failed, the system resets the time to the original time of failure even after setting the time in Windows and properly shutting down / rebooting; therefore windows is not able to write the current time to RTC at shutdown when clock is stopped; when RTC is still running, Windows can either update it at shutdown or the RTC has been running in the background so it knows what time it is after shutdown
-battery has nothing to do with the problem (switched it twice)
-BIOS update to 1205 (the latest) had no effect
-resetting default BIOS settings has no effect, it does not restart the RTC clock

Hope this helps to track this down. The motherboard is excellent except for this problem. I can't use warranty to have it replaced because I bought it in USA and now I am in Europe. The current workaround I'm looking for is to try to develop a script or registry command to run clock sync to a time server at startup.

Best regards.

RXweasel wrote:
-BIOS update to 1205 (the latest) had no effect

Did you reflash the UEFI and then clear the CMOS with standby power applied as Raja wrote above?

RXweasel
Level 7
Ok I will try that and report back here if succesful. I understand that "with standby power applied" means that I should clear the CMOS with the jumper on the motherboard without turning off the PSU from the mechanical switch. Is that correct?

RXweasel wrote:
Ok I will try that and report back here if succesful. I understand that "with standby power applied" means that I should clear the CMOS with the jumper on the motherboard without turning off the PSU from the mechanical switch. Is that correct?

Yes. Power supply on but the system off.

RXweasel
Level 7
Roger. Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll try and will report after some days when I can be sure whether reflashing helped.

Praz
Level 13
You're welcome. 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
OP please confirm that the fix provided by Raja resolved your issue 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.