cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus mobos - Ivy Bridge and WHEA-logger (Event 19) issues

WillyK
Level 10
Do you guys experience WHEA-logger issues with Ivy Bridge (i7-3770K) on the Asus mobos?
I’d like to share here a few thoughts about that and some testing I’ve done in this regard.

Ivy Bridge tends to generate a lot of “WHEA-logger Event ID 19” when OC is on the edge or unstable.
The general format is:
- A corrected hardware error has occurred.
- Reported by component: Processor Core
- Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
- Error Type: Internal parity error
- Processor ID: …

For Ivy Bridge owners it’s important to watch out for WHEA-logger events, even though Prime95 etc. may seemingly run Ok. Occasionally it may cause weird BSODs and other headaches so it’s not to ignore. Windows 8 is particularly sensitive to WHEA-logger events, and running WEI (WinSat) can help to detect instability related to this (it would typically crash around event 19).

The general advice about handling WHEA-logger issues is to bump the VCore… It works but it’ll raise the CPU temperatures etc. so it’s generally undesirable when everything else is Ok.

I discovered that bumping the VCCIO a little, e.g. to 1.075-1.100V (stock value is 1.050V), may help in getting rid of the WHEA-logger events, and it may even allow you to lessen the VCore without hurting the OC stability! (I’ve tested this on two different machines with Win7/Win8 and it has the same effect).

If you have any specific experiences with WHEA-logger issues please feel free to share.
20 REPLIES 20

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers for this very nice bit of information there.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

meankeys
Level 13
Thanks Willy
I too have found this to be true If I raise my vcore it would stop. I did not know about the vccio so thanks I will try that.

WillyK
Level 10
Only glad to help. Hope it'll do the trick for you buddy. VCCIO doesn't seem to increase the temps (at least not as much as VCore), and it helps the memory mgmt too (maybe this is causing the trouble in first place).

NOTE that the WHEA-logger Event 19 is a "Warning" in Windows (corrected HW error) but it still is causing trouble and indicates instability. Uncorrectable WHEA errors is a whole different story (anything from HW failure to severe misconfiguration) so it shouldn't be mixed up with this one.

defter
Level 7
been wondering why my stable OC in windows 7 was slightly unstable in windows 8 (playing Battlefield 3 for about 2-3 hours caused the Corrected HW Error). unfortunately, i still have no clue why (lol) but, im glad i ran into this post as i was about to give up and revert back to Win7. i'll give raising VCCIO a try and post back with the results.

one more thing, i was wondering if you ever tried going above 1.100v on VCCIO; did it allow for any additional lowering on the CPU Vcore? also, would 1.150v be a good safe limit for 24/7 usage?

thanks for this WillyK, appreciate it 😮
i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz w/ 1.26v (Cooler Master TPC 812)
Asus Maximus V Extreme
GTX 670 2GB SLI
Samsung (MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 @ 2400MHz CL10
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB HDD
Cooler Master V700

HiVizMan
Level 40
Rep the OP folks if this thread he started helps you out. It is a nice way of saying thanks to those members who have made our life a little easier.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Preacher
Level 10
Thanks for the tip Willyk, I have got my system stable at 4.5 with 1.23v but every so often I get one WHEA error on number 6, so I will up the VCCIO and hopefully get rid of the final WHEA error.

Nice one mate.
Intel i7 3770K@ 4.5GHz,
Silverstone Heligon HE01
ASUS Maximus V Formula, 1803 BIOS
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 @ 1866MHz, 9-10-9-27
MSI GTX 970
Samsung 250GB SSD
Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU
NZXT Phantom 630
Win 8 Pro x64

defter
Level 7
raising the VCCIO didn't seem to work 😞 but, while i thought it was my CPU causing the WHEA-errors, i think it was the fact that i raised the
power target on my GTX 670 (is it possible for GPUs to cause WHEA-errors as well?).

i remembered i had the power target to 112% when i was uninstalling precision x to update my driver. since precision doesn't save the
power target, whether the GTX 670 was running @ 112% or not, upon opening precision x, it will automatically set the power target back to
100%.

i haven't seen a WHEA-error since doing this but, as of right now, it's only been about 2-3 hours of heavy gaming; before, the WHEA-error
would pop up as early as the 5min mark and no later than 30-45min.

but, i think a little more time is required to determine whether the WHEA-error is truly gone or not. will post back to let you guys know.

EDIT: i completely missed the fact that my WHEA-error was pointing to the "Processor Core".... so, whether or not WHEA-errors can be produced by GPUs, this specific one, is pointing to the CPU. looks like that WHEA-error may just be waiting to show up.
Asus Maximus V Extreme
GTX 670 2GB SLI
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB HDD
Cooler Master V700

defter
Level 7
the WHEA error did end up happening but, much later. i've also tried raising my offset vcore by 0.005v with no luck. as of right now, ive resulted to going back to my previous overclock of 4.6GHz which is rock solid; the reason i didnt test with a higher voltage is because i don't generally like seeing my core temperatures above 70C which brings me to a quick question,

can having core temps of 70C+ for hours at a time cause degradation? while i thought temperatures alone can not cause degradation, some people seem to believe it still may if core temperatures exceed 70C for long periods of time. if the temps alone in fact shouldn't cause degradation, id be more than glad to raise my voltages as the slight bump of 0.005v still had me under 1.30v.
Asus Maximus V Extreme
GTX 670 2GB SLI
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB HDD
Cooler Master V700

defter wrote:
the WHEA error did end up happening but, much later. i've also tried raising my offset vcore by 0.005v with no luck. as of right now, ive resulted to going back to my previous overclock of 4.6GHz which is rock solid; the reason i didnt test with a higher voltage is because i don't generally like seeing my core temperatures above 70C which brings me to a quick question,

can having core temps of 70C+ for hours at a time cause degradation? while i thought temperatures alone can not cause degradation, some people seem to believe it still may if core temperatures exceed 70C for long periods of time. if the temps alone in fact shouldn't cause degradation, id be more than glad to raise my voltages as the slight bump of 0.005v still had me under 1.30v.

Any and all overclocking starts off the degradation process somewhat faster than when your CPU is at stock, but, it cannot be tracked, nor forecast how fast, or slow, your CPU will degrade. Just like the silicon lottery on having a good clocker with good high RAM clocks with a better than average IMC....the only time you'll know your CPU has degraded is when you need more volts to achieve the same OC you've had going for ages.