Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum IV Extreme Rev. 3 Random Freeze problems

Retired
Not applicable
Hi all

RIG : i72600k (stock speeds)
Memory : Corsair Vengeance 2X4GB (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9)
Crucial C300 Raid 0
Ati 6970 XFire

PC freezes at random points requiring a hard reboot. My memory does not belong to the QLV list. Could this be the problem? Trying to use XMP only made things worse. Should I replace my memory? Other than this I run memtests etc. and came up without any problems. I have seen other people with similar problems and they suggested disabling C3 and C6. Any ideas?

Regards

Silver
11 REPLIES 11

Retired
Not applicable
I suppose you use the intel driver for your SSD´s an have them connected to SATA1+2? Then it could be a standby-problem with your SSD´s. As you´re german maybe this link will help you? http://www.derbench.de/index.php/hardwaretipps/1-haenger-mit-ssd-durch-ausschalten-von-intel-lpm-lin...
For me at least it did.

Retired
Not applicable
Danke für Ihre Hilfe !

For non germans - there is a german translation in the bottom of the link. You can try deactivating the LPM feautre , there is even a .reg file that does it automatically. I had the same SSDs as the ones on the site (bad luck? ).

I tried this. I will update if there are more crashes.

Retired
Not applicable
Update :

I had these C300 with my previous board and had absolutely no problems there but the raid controller was a Marvell one.

By following the instructions on the site the problem was not solved. The pc froze again. But the event log was not reporting the IRST error any more.

What is more interesting is that I also have a RAID 1 with 2.0TB WD Caviar drives. Once I set up this raid I noticed that the logon was considerably slower, until the irst reported that there is "one or more drives protected from failure".

So after deleting this raid I am now experiencing 0 freezes. I hope this stays this way.

If this is the case then the P67 raid controller is buggy.

Update 2 :

After removing the raid 1 everything seems to work perfect. I had no crashes so far and I also tried sleeping, suspending etc.

Will try to use Marvell controller for raid 1.

Update 3 :

Removing raid 1 and following the instructions on the link solved the problems. I have experienced no freezes for the past 2 days, after a lot of restarts/sleeps etc. Everything now works as it should.

Bottom line : Intel RAID controller is buggy.

I've been experiencing random freezes too, I have an Extreme-Z motherboard. I actually just force shut down my computer due to the freeze. I'm running two arrays, RAID 1 boot drive and RAID 0 media drive.

Did you experience any problems with the Marvell RAID controller with the RAID 1 array? This freezing is so god damn annoying.

Retired
Not applicable
My older motherboard had the same Marvell controller. My SSD's worked fine there without any problems.

In my Maximum extreme motherboard I could not set the raid 0 with my ssd's. No idea why. That's why I opted for the intel controller which worked fine. If you exclude the freezes..

To remove the freezes you must remove the RAID 1. At least this worked for me. I haven't got a freeze ever since.

I am also planning on moving the raid 1 to the Marvell controller this weekend. Haven't tried it yet.

I think it should work fine since I believe the problem has to do with the IRST driver in general.

Necrodox
Level 7
Gottcha', when I get my new water cooling parts and cable I'll move everything around and see if it works.

I'll report back on the results, hopefully the drivers get sorted out. I hate the freezes, especially when I'm in the middle of something important (SCHOOLWORK haha).

Necrodox
Level 7
Alright I switched my RAID 1 to the Marvell chipset and no troubles what so ever, it runs perfectly!

The IRST drivers are buggy and don't work well, definitely need to fix this soon!

Retired
Not applicable
Hi man, could you tell me which steps you took to do this? I switched too but it will only recognize my drives if I pust the controller on IDE mode. If I use RAID mode I simply can't Ctrl+M to the controller to set my raid up..It won't let me LOL..

Any help would be welcome 🙂

Necrodox
Level 7
Sorry my last post was incorrect, I didn't move the RAID 1 array. I simply killed it, I planned on doing RAID 1 again but I didn't want to go through the hassle of erasing all of my data (especially since I just finished downloading a lot of my media applications). I apologize for the misleading post.

I tried getting to the Marvell RAID controller using Ctrl + M and it didn't work for me either, maybe there is an option for it in the BIOS? I'll try and look at it tomorrow if I get the chance (been caught up with work and school).

If you're using the RAID 1 as a back up safeguard I heard there are better methods I remember reading, I think it was called Acronis. I'm not sure because I actually have no experience with the program but I'll be checking this out too, what do you need your RAID 1 array for Silvermaul?