cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Working on MARS II Dual GTX 480 Graphics Accelerator

ottoyu34
Level 9
Brian, let's get some!:cool:

After treating the enthusiast community to the Republic of Gamers (ROG) ARES Dual HD 5870 graphics accelerator, ASUS isn't wasting any time is designing its successor, referred to (for now) as "MARS II". This graphics accelerator uses two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 (GF100) GPUs on one board, that's right, the first dual-GPU accelerator based on GF100, which is dreaded for its thermal and electrical characteristics so much, that NVIDIA is content with having the second-fastest graphics card in the market (GTX 480), with no immediate plans of working on a dual-GPU accelerator.

ASUS' ambitious attempt is in the design stage deep inside its R&D, where the design is in an evaluation state. The R&D gave us some exclusive pictures of the MARS II PCB to treat you with. To begin with, the card's basic design is consistent with almost every other dual-GPU NVIDIA card in recent past. There are two independent GPU systems, each with its own VRM and memory, which are interconnected by an internal SLI, and connected to the system bus by an nForce 200 bridge chip. On this card, two GF100 GPUs with the same configuration as GeForce GTX 480 (GF100-375-A3) are used, each having 480 CUDA cores, and connecting to 1536 MB of GDDR5 memory across a 384-bit wide memory interface.

check it out, triple 8-pin PCIE

Source: http://techpowerup.com/126702/ASUS_Working_on_MARS_II_Dual_GTX_480_Graphics_Accelerator.html
8 REPLIES 8

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Well that's a good news if my heater broke this winter:P I wont spend on a new one XD I will buy this cardinstead ahahah XD Sometime I am thinking about what asus do with these card like the 7800 dual GPU that use a external pouwer supply. Do you remember this card guy?
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

ottoyu34
Level 9
Cost aside, It's an amazing piece from the engineers at Asus.

I would say make it pre-installed with custom waterblock.

Retired
Not applicable
That screams POWER POWER POWER GIVE ME MORE OM NOM NOM NOM NOM. to me. =P

Retired
Not applicable
Wow that looks like it will be an engineering masterpiece. I agree with ottoyu34, it should def come with a water block installed. But on the other hand I am interesting in seeing what type of air cooler would be needed for that beast.. hmm.

If it can support 3 monitors with one card it would be pure win !!!

Retired
Not applicable
Yes it is quite a challenge to take on. but give it all to Asus they will take it on headfirst, it looks to be a single dvi and an hdmi with a questionable port that looks to be a mini display port. possibly a stacked Dual Dvi.

Retired
Not applicable
Wow very impressed!!!! being a 480 GTX owner this looks like an amazing feat!

V2-V3
Level 8
Oh my,
That is one packed PCB, 8 phase power to EACH GPU! 2 Phase power to each RAM bank!!!!!