cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChrsPlmr's "Joe Rog Consumer Review" of the CrossHair V Formula

chrsplmr
Level 18
[[ Review Below ]]
Hello. My name is Chris Palmer. If I can help you, I will.
May you find more than you seek.

chrsplmr Threads on the forum:

Member Responsibility: Step Up to ROG (Sticky) (6-14-2012)

Easy Guide to Images in Signatures (Sticky) (8-21-2012)

PROJECT: BLACK and RED SATIRE (*Warning* Very Graphic Intensive) (11-22-2011) *Satire

WIN a CrossHair V Formula/ThunderBolt GAME ON(X-Sticky) (4-1-2012) *Satire

ChrsPlmr's "Joe Rog Consumer Review" of the CrossHair V Formula (X-Sticky) (8-22-2011)

ChrsPlmr's "Joe Rog Consumer Review" of the CrossHair V Formula

08-22-2011 04:44 PM

While I am waiting to review the Team CrossHair V Formula I continue to be amazed at this board. I have been
running my present CrossHair V Formula for several months now. I continually see questions of memory use
especially with the postponed AMD FX (BullDozer) cpu that this board was born for.
Many have raised the question, does this CrossHair V Formula deserve to wear the black and red of ROG since
its full potential can not be known without this cpu?

Many here, myself included get lost in all the utilities of testing, stressing and benchmarking.
The Joe Average ROG Consumer wants to game, overclock, surf the internet, whatever they ask their
computer to do, they expect and dont need or want to spend hours reading technical documents to turn it on.
We did our research and we took out our money and laid it down for the best on the market today.
And now all we want to do with it, is play.

So I put my CrossHair V Formula and ASUS to the "Joe Average ROG Consumer Seeing Is Believing Test"
This is the unedited result, enjoy.

***Please Note***
The pause you see was with the video server, I had to refresh, click it back over to 720
and then full screen it, took precious time of the 5 minutes..The end I clicked AIii to bring up
temp and voltageIt looked like I clicked tools and went blue screen but as you see below I went on from there with it to post. ...The video ends exactly @ 5 minutes.
This thing is almost bullet proof.
I could put it back to sleep and back and forth again.
That, from what I understand is all Memory/Stability.

The camera I was using was a Nikon D90 with a 5 minute video limit. I went on to shut down the browsers, upload the video

to the computer, convert it to divX using AMD Vision Center, review it, upload it to youtube, create this
post, all without rebooting.
I haven't seen a blue screen since I followed the memory thread questions I posted and that were
answered by Members, @asus Guyz and ++Raja @asus ...to OverClock to 4.1 @ 1866- (Stay Tuned)

The specs of the system used CH V F, 1100T, 8gb domGT, 2x6850's.
Yea, it ROG's.

c.

EDIT::: The Review Board was never delivered because 'Global' happened.
10 Jan 2014
22 REPLIES 22

chrsplmr
Level 18
Below is the "ROG REVIEWERS APPLICATION" I submitted with my intentions and
a review preview of my early findings. I will be posting the first parts A.S.A.P. Thank You
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
APPLICATION: CrossHair V Formula Reviewer

I would like to be considered for the "Average Joe" Review of the Crosshair V Formula from that perspective.

My number one qualification is Bill Gates and I are the same age.
No...That's not it.
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, "I LOVE THIS BOARD!!. Period."

I have been using and testing my own personal CrossHair V Formula and another for 6 weeks now.
I have, through this forum and my own experiences with it, found the 8-10 set up items unique to this board
and relative hardware.
I have used and tested the CrossHair V Formula to do all of the things I expected of it when I bought it.
And for "As Advertised" features, without the AM3+ cpu to full and complete satisfaction.
I am more than willing to tell anyone that cares to know, "Hey I bought a great new state of the art,
the cpu for this thing isn't even out yet and I'm actually thrilled that it only cost this much."
I have Overclocked, Gamed, Surfed, Graphic Creation and Editing, Office software and streaming video.

I believe that this board does everything and more that it was advertised to do and I can prove it.
I further believe that the greater percentage of these boards are flawless and would like a chance to see for myself
if the next one does what the last did.
I am confident it will even without the BullDozer that the board was born for.
I knew just enough to buy the right board and I read the rest from the awesome membership that is this forum.
I am not Average or Joe, but I am exactly the Average Joe Rog Consumer I do believe.
***I must amend this here, Brian called it right, as usual, The Joe Average Consumer, which I am. The JOE ROG Members are each quite unique and the elite of this industry.
And there is nothing average about them, the are ROG.
I am not an English/Grammar/Spell'n expert and don't want to hear anything about it, within reason.

I will include the steps of the build, the 'getting it to first boot' setup and review the above.
Lots of Screen Shots..Maybe play some Crysis2, while streaming kids video, with a few hundred ie's open on video.
I would be using the setup found in my signature with the exception of the V8 on the 'Team' board.
I will do on my board, not the 'Team' board, the OverClock to 4.1 w/4g 1866 that a Rog Thread helped me do.
I may even include the ThunderBolt, if that is acceptable, as I now am also the proud owner of
a Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt.

In any event, I will endeavor to answer the Main Questions, "Does this boards features live up to its Branding
and Customer/Consumer expectations? As well as evaluate it for everyday use, quality in gaming,
audio, applications, features, etc. for myself and the Average Joe, soon to be ROG'n that buys this board?"

I further guarantee my best effort in this, as well as promise it to the rest involved.
I promise to take care of the Team Board, like one of my own children to it's safe return.
I can also promise mine won't be from a 'too technical' view, because..well I'm not.
I am a good reader, listener, questioning learner though.
(And just so you know, I would eat the box for a ROG T-Shirt.)

Thank You for your consideration,
If any other information is needed from me please post/or/pm..
Chris Palmer Sr.

Area_66
Level 11
Nice Video Chris, how come I have not see it before. I like at the end when you try to kill JJ with a MG

chrsplmr
Level 18
Thanks, just posted it today..fresh, hot off the lens.
I dont think anything phases JJ.

NemesisChild
Level 12
I came off the CH4F and was convinced that no other board would even come close in comparison.
In my opinion, the CH4F is the ultimate precision overclocking machine, truly a masterpiece.
I'm yet to see this with the CH5F, but we all know it was designed with BD in mind and it's not mature like the CH4F.
However, I'm confident that it wil shine when BD finally arrives, and of course of some bios updates should help too.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

chrsplmr wrote:
***I must amend this here, Brian called it right, as usual, The Joe Average Consumer, which I am. The JOE ROG Members are each quite unique and the elite of this industry.

I would refer to it as a "Peer Review" personally.

NemesisChild wrote:
I came off the CH4F and was convinced that no other board would even come close in comparison.
In my opinion, the CH4F is the ultimate precision overclocking machine, truly a masterpiece.
I'm yet to see this with the CH5F, but we all know it was designed with BD in mind and it's not mature like the CH4F.
However, I'm confident that it wil shine when BD finally arrives, and of course of some bios updates should help too.

If ASUS releases a CHV Extreme model, there is a good chance you would drool over that one.
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS

chrsplmr
Level 18
Did you see that Brian Chew of ASUS set the New World Record on This Board using the new FX (BullDozer) @ 8.4xx worth on this CrossHair V?
Have faith brother, have faith.

Chew SMASHED the Intel Celeron record..... Here

Area_66
Level 11
Chris I'm sure you wet your brief with that Record thing ....lol

EVIL_CONSERVATI
Level 7
Yeah Chris Nice Video ! Good Job .. As for the Record, wouldnt it be great to work for ASUS and get to play with all that stuff without melting our bank accounts LOL .
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Marked...wet is not the word brother...I slid off my chair and right across the floor....My brain is going to explode, panting for that cpu.
You must be too...You get your V out..and really have some fun. This is really exciting now.

EC..Did you see the trays of cpu's..... I would have to sell my house...and one of my kids.
They wouldnt have to ask me twice... Id mop the floor to play with the toys.... PayCheck? Bonus!
Did you see the joy on his face? History in motion.

And you know I have to mention one more time...hahhaha...he was using What? Dominator GT 1866, just
as JJ did in the OC Video...which is why I bought it in the first place. Then I read the QVL.