cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intel 7260 802.11ac works with mpcie card on our boards!

jsarver
Level 11
in case anyone was curious the newly released intel wifi/bluetooth card works perfect with the asus combo card that is included with my maximus formula v. i got this from amazon for about 35 dollars and it was a direct swap out. now getting anywhere from 780 to 860mbps! much improved over the stock wifi card.
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers mate, could you post a link to the card you bought please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

jsarver
Level 11

I bought the mobo only without the card and etc so I got the 7260 desktop version with pci card, antenna and small usb for bluetooth. If I take the card out and put it in my mpcie adapter the bluetooth will work without htat usb right? The bluetooth interface is built into that special mpcie slot right? Cheers friends 🙂
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7 4770K
8 GB G.Skill Trident X 2600MHz
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Corsair HX1000W PSU
SLI - Custom Watercooled EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
XSPC Custom Watercooling loop AX360 dual pump with 360 Rad and 240 Rad
NZXT Switch 810
NZXT Hue LED lighting

jsarver
Level 11

apocalypzez
Level 10
I think the Bluetooth and wifi is integral part of the wireless module. I had the intel 7260 working on a MVG board's combo adapter and it worked perfectly, except for the drivers you look into intel's website, not asus website (sometimes you forget that)...!!
ASUS Maximus IX APEX || Core i7 7700K || Corsair H150i Pro || EVGA RTX 2080 Ti B.E. || G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 @ 15-16-16-35-2N || ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 (RAID0) || WD RED 3TB x 2 || Corsair AX1200i || NZXT H700i (without the smart hub) || Dell U3011 || Windows 10 Pro x64 || Logitech Z2300 THX Certified 2.1 & Corsair Vengeance 2000 ||

Squuiid
Level 7
jsarver wrote:
in case anyone was curious the newly released intel wifi/bluetooth card works perfect with the asus combo card that is included with my maximus formula v. i got this from amazon for about 35 dollars and it was a direct swap out. now getting anywhere from 780 to 860mbps! much improved over the stock wifi card.

I'm thinking of doing this with the combo card in my Maximus V Gene, but am curious, what antenna do you connect to this?
Would I need to buy that separately too? Just dangle it outside the case? How would this work?
Thanks in advance.

De
Level 7
Im trying to install it on my maximus gene VI and cant get it to work.
Wifi finds nothing be it it has no atenas and my case it a solid HAF but the rooter is like 1 foot from the actual board
Bluetooth finds nothing altho my 2 phones find each other

I bought one [1 x Intel 7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0 Mini PCI Express combo Adapter - 867 Mbps+300Mbps ... - OEM] as well for my Maximus VI Gene. And a Cache drive SSD [1 x MyDigitalSSD 64GB Super Cache 2 42mm SATA III (6G) M.2 2242 NGFF SSD with FNet HybriDisk Cache Software - MDM242-SC2-064], which makes loading my wife's picture even quicker. I have an SSD but we keep the picture on a 3TB HD. It like to play with new technology and it was nice to not have to use additional PCIe slots, but a pain to get to inside the case. Make sure you put the screw through the adapter plate (it gives you the option) not the Mobo or you will have to remove the entire Mobo to adjust anything.
The Intel Combo card came bare bones (plastic cover only) since it was OEM. I downloaded the Intel PRO drivers, and the tests says no networks in the area. I also failed to order the antenna pigtail, but thought it should at least have some range. Nope. I received my [1 x Super Power Supply® 2 x 4" inch / 10cm U.FL / IPX Mini PCIe to RP-SMA Antenna Pigtail WiFi Cable PCI] on Friday. Hooked them up (very hard to see they twist and lock on the card), and connected the ASUS antenna [ASUS 2T2R Dual Band Wi-Fi Moving Antenna]. Works like a champ with my AC1750 router.;)
I downloaded a seperate Bluetooth driver from Intel but Windows 7 still does not want to connect to anything. I have a SM Bus Controller that appeared in my Device Manager and has no driver associated with it, and will try to figure out how to get it to use that driver. Problem with a "wizard" to load drivers is you can't find them when you need to manually install/point to it.