cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wireless adapter in Device Manager, new Windows 8 installation [solved]

DoctorTed
Level 7
G75VX, newly installed SSD. No wireless detected but the signal is definitely working. No wireless adapter is listed in Device Manager. The hardware worked fine with the original C: drive. It must be a missing driver and I guess the adapter must be one of two unknown yellow ! devices listed in "Other Devices."

I dutifully trudged off to the Asus download site and found five candidate drivers for this model. Can someone tell me which wireless adapter is found in this model so I know which driver to download? Or do I need more than one? Are there steps I have to take apart from running the driver installer? (I picked one I thought likely and got a big red Fail).

Thanks for any insights.

Ted
4 REPLIES 4

Pitcher1
Level 9
do you know what is wireless model? do you know where can see it? manual book? laptop sticker?

rewben
Level 13
the better way to determine the right wifi is to boot the stock drive and find it out in device manager.

DoctorTed
Level 7
Thanks, Rewben, If anyone is following this thread, the answers to my own questions are: Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, and yes, running the driver installer is all it takes to get it working.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Not sure how well this works, but for the U.S. models at least, you will usually see some kind of FCC sticker (as mentioned by Pitcher) under the notebook or in the battery bay for the wireless to give you a clue what kind you have if you don't have an easy way to check inside of Windows.