cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Installed BIOS 4102 and now my CPU is no longer downclocking :(

DrHarvey
Level 7
Hello,

I used to be on BIOS 0901 and had an overclock of 4.6 ghz with the CPU running at 1.2 ghz in Windows and going to 4.6 ghz when gaming.

I have just installed two new GTX 780's and had a few issues and was advised to install the latest BIOS for my mobo which increased compatability / stability. I wrote down all my old BIOS settings which a friend had input and tried to re-input them into BIOS 4102 as closely as I could. Generally everything was obvious and in the same or extremely similar place.

I also re-installed Windows 7 along with the latest drivers off the Asus website.

However now it appears as though the CPU is constantly running at 4.6 ghz. Not at 1.2 ghz in WIndows 7. I have enabled Intel Speedstep and Turbo is greyed out as enabled.

I thought that was all I had to do to get it to work but there is an option or something that wasn't in the old BIOS version of 0901 that is in the later version which I have either not selected or input incorrectly.

Anybody have any ideas as to what I could be missing?

System:

Intel 3960X @ 4.6ghz
Rampage 4 Extreme - BIOS 4102
2 x GTX 780's in SLI
Asus Xonar D2X Ultra (sound)
Corsair HX1000
4 x SSD's and 1 x HDD (none in RAID - AHCI selected in BIOS).

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.
CPU: Intel 3960X - Watercooled @ 4.6ghz
Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: 16GB 4x4GB GT Dominator @ 2133mhz
Storage: 120GB Corsair Force SSD; 120GB Kingston Hyper 3K SSD; 2 x 512GB Crucial M4 SSD's & 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK
Graphics Card(s): 2 x EVGA Hydrocopper 780GTX - Watercooled (SLI)
Sound: Asus Xonar D2X Ultra
PSU: CAIR 1000W CMPSU-1000HXUK
Case: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 800D
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
Monitor(s): Asus VG278HE @ 144hz
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, DrHarvey.

Make sure that your Windows power plan isn't on the High Performance preset.

Delitus
Level 9
Hmm, I've had my CPU configured to downclock on both BIOS 3301 and 4206, so unless it is due to a glitch specific to 4102, it should be working.
The easiest thing to try is to completely clear the CMOS (I use the button on the back of the motherboard), and then enter the UEFI and directly manipulate the target multiplier to 46x. This should automatically disable and grey out Turbo (and should not be enabled, as yours is currently showing), while also automatically switching off some power-saving features, including SpeedStep. Then it is a simple matter of turning those power-saving states back on and adjusting your Vcore as required to have a downclocking processor.
Note that I am assuming you have a simple multiplier overclock. If you've used straps or other methods, then I cannot confirm whether the above will work or not, as I have never tried that myself.
| MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | RAM: 8x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (CL10) | CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k (4.2GHz, -0.005v) | GPU: 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 FE | SSD: 2x Crucial MX300 750GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200 |

Delitus
Level 9
To add to what Chino has said, mine seems to downclock even with the High Performance preset (on Windows 8), but it is certainly worth giving a try.
| MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | RAM: 8x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (CL10) | CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k (4.2GHz, -0.005v) | GPU: 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 FE | SSD: 2x Crucial MX300 750GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200 |

HiVizMan
Level 40
The best thing to do is to reset to defaults in BIOS and if your system is not downclocking in OS then your power plan is preventing it from doing so, AISuite can possibly also prevent downclocking if you are using it to OC your system too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.