cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard - Go Button

Jarpo
Level 7
Okay, so before I search for hours on the threads looking for my own issues/solutions, I just thought I'd make a quick thread hoping someone here with more knowledge than me can give some quick advice/answer some noob questions.

First, the newest computer we are putting together only boots via Go Button. Which, if I understand right, shoots up the bios with temporary safe settings before allowing you to OC. It boots consistently that way and reads everything correctly as stock settings save for the RAM.

The post message reads that we should edit the settings before continuing. That's where I get a little confused even though the bios is probably the most user-friendly bios I've ever worked with.

The only thing I have edited in the bios is the RAM and boot order (to have the motherboard run the RAM at the correct settings and to boot from CD).

The RAM we are using is the G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C11D-16GZL. The timing is supposed to be 11-11-11-31 at 2133. I've inputed those numbers, but there are other options there that I don't understand, and don't mess with.

Once I have the bios set up with that, I use F10 to save and exit, reboot. It doesn't boot up. I starts, goes through some codes (10, 0C, F.F.) and then shuts down. I can boot it with the Go Button afterwards, but every time I edit the bios, the settings don't save and it won't reboot without using the Go Button.

I'm assuming that I didn't input the bios settings right or that maybe the processor we have isn't capable of utilizing the RAM, or worse yet, the motherboard doesn't support the RAM we chose. I went online to look at the QVL list, but it was so out of date (2011), I took a gamble I bought the board anyways.

The CPU is an AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX.

What do you guys think?
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Jarpo.

Start by loading the the optimized defaults, save and shutdown your system. Clear your CMOS by using the button at the back. Then power up your system and once again load the optimized defaults, save and restart your system. Everything should be back at stock defaults now.

Have you tried using the D.O.C.P. function to setup your RAM?

Jarpo
Level 7
Thanks for the welcome. Ya, I used the D.O.C.P. function and even chose a default 2133 profile, and tried that. I will try what you suggested in a little bit and get back to you with the results.

Jarpo
Level 7
No luck so far. Also, it's not reading sata 7 or 8.

Jarpo
Level 7
Reset button works, power button does not, though. Bios does not recognize sata ports 7 and 8, however windows cd does, so that's good. Will install windows and drivers. I'll let you know if I run into any troubles.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello guys

I am a bit unclear as to what the issue is besides the booting problem.

Where I get a tad lost is the SATA stuff and installing OS and the connection to the memory settings.

Here is what I would do.

Remove all but the OS destination hard drive.

Create a USB stick OS install, use the official microsoft USB tool to do this. Real easy and makes installing OS way simpler and quicker.

Use only two sticks of memory, use the manual to see which two slots to use.

Once you are done go into the bios.

F5 and enter.

F10 and enter.

This should now boot you straight to the OS install.

Install OS and those drivers you might need.

Once done power down.

Fit the additional SATA devices. (no idea why you would want to use the eSATA ones just yet but maybe I did not understand correctly) 🙂

On your memory. That quad kit is designed for the Intel LGA 2011 platform. They will work with AMD but you will need to do some work for that to happen. Way better would have been a dual kit of ram.

None the less you have quality ram and it will work as expected, but maybe not at the frequency you expect. 🙂 And there is a reason for that. But more about that and your memory once you have your system running ok.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.