cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] IB-E R4F Debug 00 + Red CPU_LED

lm794
Level 7
EDIT: Adding solution here.

So it took me three days of calling Asus phone support to finally be connected to someone competent enough to know what the hell he's talking about. First let me say what exactly was going wrong so anyone else doing this knows this is the same problem and therefore same solution.

Asus is expecting most people will be upgrading from Sandy Bridge-e to Ivy Bridge-e. Therefore the update to make the motherboard compatible with the new CPU would be easy to apply simply by updating the board with SB-E, then switching in your IB-E. However, for anyone such as myself who buys both the motherboard and IB-E brand new, we run into a bit of a problem. The BIOS updates used to be in .ROM format, however when Windows 8 came out they switched it to .CAP. In order to flash update the BIOS to update 4403, which makes the board compatible with IB-E, you need to convert the BIOS first. However, unlike the updates, you can NOT convert with flash BIOS update using only a power supply. Why? Because the system needs to reboot twice in order for the entire conversion process to work properly. And in order for your system to be able to reboot itself, it needs a CPU and one stick of RAM. In other words if you get IB-E and a brand new board that needs an update in order to be compatible with IB-E, you're screwed. Unless you know someone with a SB-E CPU that you can borrow from.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION: Without having to send your board in for RMA and waiting weeks for it's return, all you need to do is visit estore.asus.com and you can buy the BIOS chip with the latest update already on it! Yes, it's that simple. And it took me talking to easily 10 or so people for one of them to tell me this. That's all it takes. They grab a BIOS chip from their stock, plug it into their own board, put the latest update (or any update you desire) on it, and then send it off to you. Once you receive it, you can easily pull the 8-pin chip right out of your motherboard and put in the new one, and you'll be good to go.

So there you have it! Unfortunately that's the only way to go about this problem as of now, the only other way would be if Asus released update 4403 in a .ROM format so our BIOS could actually update from it. If you are intending on getting IB-E and not one of the 2 new boards that are already compatible, get your retailer to update it for you before you buy it!

-----------------
[Original Post]

Here is the build:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/794/saved/2gbW

I've done the flash bios update for the 4930k to be compatible. Put everything together, wasn't getting a signal to my monitor, narrowed it down to seeing code 00 and the CPU LED being red. Also, the BIOS1_LED is yellow. (EDIT: Figured out that's just showing which bios is selected.) Took it all out the case and everything apart, redid everything on a cardboard box and got the same results.

I called Asus and they said that it may be a faulty BIOS, and they are sending me a new board. However, I want to explore as many options as I can to see if I can get it working before they send the new one.
34 REPLIES 34

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Im794

That's the second thread like this here today:confused::(

One option you could try..last ditch effort is switch to second BIOS....clear cmos and flash a newly downloaded copy of the BIOS to the second BIOS chip.....(ditch the previously downloaded one...might be a bad copy)...

That's what I was thinking... To switch to the 2nd BIOS it's just the small red button, right? Will post results soon.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes...just press that...bios light will jump to second BIOS....normally I would not recommend playing with both BIOS chips...always good to leave one as backup but in this case might be only thing left.

Get a fresh copy of BIOS file...rename R4E.CAP on a FAT32 formatted USB pen and into rog connect (white USB port) and flash...

I presume the RIVE came with a BIOS later than 2003 right?

It's the Formula, not the Extreme. I don't think it did, currently it's updating with the ROM to CAP converter.

lm794
Level 7
Done, seems to have the same results. For some reason the ROM to CAP converter takes a couple minutes, but the update itself only flashes for a few seconds. Wondering if it's actually going on or not. It says it's REV 1.01 so that means it only had the first BIOS version, right? Which therefore means it does indeed need the ROM to CAP conversion to be done.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
ooops right you are :o...OK so yes, if you had BIOS 1404 or earlier you will need to update to CAP first then flash latest BIOS....

R4F.ROM or R4F.CAP then

the cap converter will flash both BIOS chips to 2105...

When you switch on computer after flash don't touch anything for a while the BIOS flash is done in two parts...the BIOS lights will flash again so leave it alone until they stop and it's updated iROGs etc....

Ah, I was unaware there were 2 stages to the flash update. Interesting. Maybe the ROM to CAP converter never got to finish since I went straight from that update to the 4403 (latest version) update without turning the system on to carry out the 2nd portion of the ROM to CAP update. I'm currently flashing on the ROM to CAP update again, then I'll turn it on to do the 2nd part, wait for that to finish, then repeat this with the latest BIOS update. To be honest not expecting any change but hey, it's worth a shot.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't seem to be making a difference. I don't know if there's a slight chance maybe one of the updates didn't flash properly, or if doing them more then once has had a negative effect. If I do the ROM to CAP conversion it takes a while every time, but then once I do the 4003 .CAP update it only flashes for a few seconds and then it's done. I don't know if it should be taking longer or not, but either way the CPU_LED is still very red and debug still reads 00.

I don't suppose there is a way to put the BIOS back down to it's factory settings, or if that will change anything. If it is in fact a faulty BIOS then all of this may be doing nothing at all anyways. Any ideas?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, you do need to turn on PC after flash....seems to load all BIOS etc first time but when you turn on the PC it actually flashes 2105 to both BIOS....both BIOS leds flash....then it updates iROG etc so leave it a couple of minutes after lights stop flashing....

Then turn off and flash latest....