cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Rev. 1 and AMD FX9590

Muha_Akhusiyya
Level 8
Hi all,

Following the massive price drop, I am going to order an FX9590 (€300). Is this CPU going to work on my motherboard - Sabertooth 990FX rev. 1 with the latest official BIOS version, 1604?
41 REPLIES 41

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forum, Muha.Akhusiyya.

The FX-9590 isn't officially supported on the Sabertooth 990FX Rev. 1.

Muha_Akhusiyya
Level 8
Thank you for your reply, Chino.
There is something strange with that 'official support', however.
Rev. 1 - not officially supported.
Rev. 2 - officially supported
Gen. 3 Rev. 2 - not officially supported.
Now, if we assume that ASUS introduced important VRM changes in Rev. 2--a thing that I have never heard of--then it would be understandable that Rev. 2 supports FX9590 while Rev. 1 does not support it. But these hypothetical changes must be present in Gen. 3 Rev. 2, which, nevertheless, does not support FX9590. This is a strange logic to me.
Anyway, I have already orderd the CPU and will report back when I receive it 🙂

ganji
Level 13
You would be better off saving 150 notes and buying the 8350 as it's the same cpu.The 9 series is just a higher binned 8350 and performs no better than an 8350 overclocked to around the same level.. Plus you don't have to worry as much about the massive amount of heat it will chuck out.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Oh dear, a user wishing to apply logic to how things work in PC component land. 🙂 Not going to happen that often I think.

Jokes aside you should be good to go.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Oh dear, a user wishing to apply logic to how things work in PC component land. 🙂 Not going to happen that often I think.

Jokes aside you should be good to go.

😄 Too early for anything logical yet 😛

Muha_Akhusiyya
Level 8
@ganji: You might be surprised to hear it, but I already own an 8350 overclocked to 4600 MHz. The only reason I buy the 9590 is that I am an AMD fan and I want to own that avis rara, which might be the last representative of the waning AM3+ series 🙂

@HiVizMan: Well, finding logical flaws and logical explanations thereof is my business, so to say 🙂 But I agree: My logic is likely different from the logic of the market departments.

Anyway, amazon.de promise to ship the CPU next Monday at the latest. I'll keep you informed about possible smocking VRMs, CPU socket and other stuff that can melt on the MB.

My PSU is a Corsair TX850M with a single 60A 12v rail. The CPU is cooled by Corsair Hydro H80.

Muha.Akhusiyya wrote:
@ganji: You might be surprised to hear it, but I already own an 8350 overclocked to 4600 MHz. The only reason I buy the 9590 is that I am an AMD fan and I want to own that avis rara, which might be the last representative of the waning AM3+ series 🙂

No not surprised mate 😄 Noubt wrong with wanting a bit of history so to speak, Have fun with it 😉

Well, yesterday got the processor. The marking is:
FD9590FHW8KHK, that is, an OEM part.
FA1322PGS - 22nd week
9S08673F30479 - :confused:

Ran on my Sabertooth 990FX Rev. 1 without any problems.
The default voltage at turbo is 1,4625. At this setting, the CPU runs really hot when loaded - 65-70 degrees water-cooled. Yet, I keep my Corsair H80 at its lowest setting to avoid excessive noise. At high, the temperature would have been ca. 5 degrees lower, but the noise is unbearable.

I have manually lowered the voltage to ca. 1.45 and now the temperature at load does not exceed 65 degrees.
By 'load' I mean games, not Prime 95. In prime 95, the CPU easily reaches 75-80 degrees and the VRMs are at the point of melting.

Also increased the speed to 4800 MHz - no problems so far.

The turbo-core function increases the CPU frequency to 5GHz only on rare occasions. When left at default, 9590 runs predominantly at 4700 MHz.

I'm completely torn. I definitely would like to blow some cash on this piece of performance history, probably the last great CPU upgrade on my sabertooth rev1 before I go to another motherboard (not any time soon), but those temps sound really dangerous. I have an 8150 and after lots of tweaking and mild overclocking have gotten it to a decent under load temp.

Any information about the wof/water cooled stuff in the new bundle they are offering? I'm wondering if it would compete with my phantek (air).

Muha.Akhusiyya wrote:
Well, yesterday got the processor. The marking is:
FD9590FHW8KHK, that is, an OEM part.
FA1322PGS - 22nd week
9S08673F30479 - :confused:

Ran on my Sabertooth 990FX Rev. 1 without any problems.
The default voltage at turbo is 1,4625. At this setting, the CPU runs really hot when loaded - 65-70 degrees water-cooled. Yet, I keep my Corsair H80 at its lowest setting to avoid excessive noise. At high, the temperature would have been ca. 5 degrees lower, but the noise is unbearable.

I have manually lowered the voltage to ca. 1.45 and now the temperature at load does not exceed 65 degrees.
By 'load' I mean games, not Prime 95. In prime 95, the CPU easily reaches 75-80 degrees and the VRMs are at the point of melting.

Also increased the speed to 4800 MHz - no problems so far.

The turbo-core function increases the CPU frequency to 5GHz only on rare occasions. When left at default, 9590 runs predominantly at 4700 MHz.