cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do your g750jh fans do this too?? please test!

jsarver
Level 11
ok so i just got my g750jh. i have noticed while doing basic things that my left side fan ramps up shortly then goes quiet again. im assuming the left side is the cpu cooling assembly.

when i open chrome and go to youtube the fan ramps up for about 5 seconds then goes quiet again. this also happens when i open up the geforce experience app and many other basic programs.

looking at realtemp it seems that its aggressivly trying to keep temps under 40 on the cpu. anyone else have this ramping fan??
PLEASE help me see if this is normal or not.

im using the windows default balanced power mode.
101 REPLIES 101

iweber95
Level 7
ii dont have this problem on mine. I never accually can hear my fans
ASUS G750JX
CPU: Intel Quad Core I7-4700HQ @ 3.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M @ 932Mhz
RAM: 16GB
Memory: 1TB + 256GB SSD

jsarver
Level 11
I had the Jx for a couple weeks to try and I never noticed on that one either. I'm wondering if the jh is set up with a more aggressive fan curve. For reference the fan kicks up to about the same level as it does when the pc boots up.

Randomname
Level 8
Nope, my JH functions normally :s
I barely hear the fans, except when I'm in my room, where it's quiet, and I do mean really quiet 🙂
The fans are normally barely audible 🙂
ASUS G750JH-T4086D
CPU: Intel Quad Core I7-4700HQ@ 2.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M
RAM: 16GB
Memory: 1TB + 250GB SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB)
Display: Anti-Glare (yup, I'm bragging about it :P)

Randomname wrote:
Nope, my JH functions normally :s
I barely hear the fans, except when I'm in my room, where it's quiet, and I do mean really quiet 🙂
The fans are normally barely audible 🙂

i do work in a quiet environment so maybe thats why i notice this. does your fan oscillate regularly? mine literally kicks on and off every 30 seconds or so while browsing youtube or anytime i open apps.

jsarver wrote:
i do work in a quiet environment so maybe thats why i notice this. does your fan oscillate regularly? mine literally kicks on and off every 30 seconds or so while browsing youtube or anytime i open apps.

jsarver, it's possible something is running in the background that brings up the utilization floor to the point where your app use pushes the utilization up enough to require Active fan cooling. Monitor background processes and sort by highest CPU, you might find something.

I had this happen to me recently, a background Media process was running and soaking up CPU during idle times. I solved it by uninstalling the bundled Cyberlink PowerDVD app and downloading and installing the newest version.

I usually uninstall the bundled Cyberlink software and install the latest as part of the first things I do, but this time I left it installed longer than normal. It might have been running in the background indexing my media, and at the new install I select it to not do that.

I have Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 13 installed now, and it stays idle:

I have found background indexing, media servers (sharing), anti-virus scans, broken utilities, etc. Find it, reconfigure, tune, or uninstall it to solve the problem.

If you don't find other background stuff running while youtube viewing, or whatever else you notice the every 30 seconds cooling symptom, it might be the JH active cooling fan response curve.

I don't think the JH is that much different on the CPU side than the JX/JW, but I guess it is possible that the Fan curve tuning to accommodate the larger cooling area/fan in the JH might have provided an opportunity to mess it up - and the tuning went too far in the wrong direction. But, others with JH's are replying that they don't see the problem - so we are back to your background processes.

You might want to uninstall Adobe Flash and try Youtube as HTML5 (youtube keeps both versions, or converts on the fly) and see if you have the same symptoms (while watching for background processing).

Try a new Adobe Flash install for both IE and Firefox too.

HWinfo64, AIDA64, and others are good for watching CPU temps and utilization. Watching those to see what temp / utilization the fans start up will be good to know.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

http://www.aida64.com/downloads

It is also possible that the build on your laptop might not have as good of a Thermal paste job on your CPU, or some install issue with the cooling system. That would take a trip to Asus to fix - fixing it yourself - opening the top to get access - voids the warranty I am told. Check with Asus if it comes to a question with the cooling system.

You can mask the problem for now by going into the selected Control Panel => Power Options => selected Power plan => Change Plan Settings=> Change advanced power settings => Processor Power Management => set Cooling Policy to Passive for Plugged in and Battery

That will change the response to more heat to reduce CPU speed vs turn on the fan for active cooling - at least it is supposed to 🙂

Let us know what you find!

Darnassus
Status Under Review
hmscott wrote:
jsarver, it's possible something is running in the background that brings up the utilization floor to the point where your app use pushes the utilization up enough to require Active fan cooling. Monitor background processes and sort by highest CPU, you might find something.

I had this happen to me recently, a background Media process was running and soaking up CPU during idle times. I solved it by uninstalling the bundled Cyberlink PowerDVD app and downloading and installing the newest version.

I usually uninstall the bundled Cyberlink software and install the latest as part of the first things I do, but this time I left it installed longer than normal. It might have been running in the background indexing my media, and at the new install I select it to not do that.

I have Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 13 installed now, and it stays idle:

I have found background indexing, media servers (sharing), anti-virus scans, broken utilities, etc. Find it, reconfigure, tune, or uninstall it to solve the problem.

If you don't find other background stuff running while youtube viewing, or whatever else you notice the every 30 seconds cooling symptom, it might be the JH active cooling fan response curve.

I don't think the JH is that much different on the CPU side than the JX/JW, but I guess it is possible that the Fan curve tuning to accommodate the larger cooling area/fan in the JH might have provided an opportunity to mess it up - and the tuning went too far in the wrong direction. But, others with JH's are replying that they don't see the problem - so we are back to your background processes.

You might want to uninstall Adobe Flash and try Youtube as HTML5 (youtube keeps both versions, or converts on the fly) and see if you have the same symptoms (while watching for background processing).

Try a new Adobe Flash install for both IE and Firefox too.

HWinfo64, AIDA64, and others are good for watching CPU temps and utilization. Watching those to see what temp / utilization the fans start up will be good to know.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

http://www.aida64.com/downloads

It is also possible that the build on your laptop might not have as good of a Thermal paste job on your CPU, or some install issue with the cooling system. That would take a trip to Asus to fix - fixing it yourself - opening the top to get access - voids the warranty I am told. Check with Asus if it comes to a question with the cooling system.

You can mask the problem for now by going into the selected Control Panel => Power Options => selected Power plan => Change Plan Settings=> Change advanced power settings => Processor Power Management => set Cooling Policy to Passive for Plugged in and Battery

That will change the response to more heat to reduce CPU speed vs turn on the fan for active cooling - at least it is supposed to 🙂

Let us know what you find!

I was going to say something like this but more along the lines of

"When you boot up a program, I suppose the start-up process is the most intensive part, having to fetch everything and toss it in the ram, and that part is what heats your chip just ever so much that it trips the cooling system to put it back down.

Completely normal I believe. Nothing to worry about. ;d

Flea0
Level 10
that doesn't sound right. try updating the bios?
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

jsarver
Level 11
ok gonna start here and keep posting as i test. no random tasks running in task manager and cpu is about 1% with no programs open.

temps according to aida 64 hit a high of 39c at idle on core 1 with no programs open. no fans audible fan noise when sitting this way.

this is set to active cooling in the balanced performance mode.

bios is most recent.

using chrome to type this the computer is quiet till it hits about 43c then i get a short burst of fan speed till it drops to about 40c. this is all according to aida64. aida is reporting a jump to about 2300 rpm.

can you guys please attempt to copy my results and listen carefully for the ramp up. i dont know if mine is just louder or what but man i cant miss it.

im fine with fan noise but not when its so inconsistent and ever changing. a steady fan whoosh is fine for me and i could work with that. not sure if i should retunr it or deal. seems like a lot of money to spend to just be annoyed trying to use it for basic tasks...