cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing the Corsair H100i on Asus Maximus VI Extreme

Atlantis852
Level 7
I plan to install a Corsair H100i on my Asus Maximus VI Extreme w/4770K. I have a Cooler Master HAF XM case. Any advice or things watch out for when installing this cooling solution?

I've read a couple of threads around the Internet where people are saying they had to buy extra plastic washers to complete their installation with other Asus motherboards. Is this the case with the Maximus VI Extreme as well?

Any thoughts, advice and/or help is always appreciated! Thanks in advance. :cool:
Asus M6E | i7 4770K | 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM | 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | GTX 780
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
I can not answer for others but I have not had any hassles fitting the H100i on a whole heap of different ASUS boards. The best advice I can give you is to actually follow the install guide.

Only one thing I would say ignore is the fan direction. I do not vent hot out, I pull cold in. Why on earth would I want hot air over my rad? And I have strong 120mm exhaust fans blowing out the back of the case.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

djdelirius
Level 10
I have that setup with the exception of your case. I have a CM Storm Trooper case, h100i, i7 4770k and MVIE. It is very easy to install...I followed a YouTube vid on installing it and it was a cake walk.

1. If you're planning on overclocking then remove the stock thermal compound pad and apply Arctic Silver 7. It made a huge difference for me.

2. Be careful when installing the screws as it is VERY easy to strip the threading that is in the radiator. I stripped 3 out of 8 screws...2 on the first install and 1 on a reinstall after setting up a push pull configuration.

3. Be careful when plugging in the Y fan cable into the top of the water block head. The head has 2 sockets on top that so you can plug a push pull setup into it with each sockets plugged into the provided Y fan cable splitter. I pushed it to hard and the socket broke off. Since it has 2 sockets I was able to just use the other one. I wasn't pushing it in too hard either, just be careful as there is no tactile feel or clicking sound.

4. I installed it under the top of the case as an exhaust setup. Some people say that you should have the radiator as an intake but general science dictates hot air rises which is why I use it as exhaust. My temps are still extremely low. I also tried it as an intake at one point and there is only about 1 degree of difference between the exhaust and intake setup.

You should check out my other post or your other water cooling thread for some more info about the h100i.

Atlantis852
Level 7
@djdelirius: Thanks

btw, how far should i tighten the thumb screws when installing? I've made it quite snug but I could tighten it more it seems. Not sure if very sung is ok or all the way screwed down is best. Any advice?
Asus M6E | i7 4770K | 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM | 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | GTX 780

Chino
Level 15

Atlantis852
Level 7
Cool Thanks Chino :cool:

Atlantis852
Level 7
Installed it and its working :cool:. Looks like my temps are around 8 to 10 C lower under heavy load.

One thing to note though, I also had an issue where the bracket was too loose. It looks like the standoffs Corsair includes are a bit too long. I solved it by using the back plate from my Thermalright True Spirit 140 as a giant washer :D. I put the Thermalright back plate in place and put the corsair one on top. It was just right and everything fit well.

If you buy the HT100i, do make sure you have some rubber or plastic washers available or try the back plate from your old air cooler as a big washer to ensure it can fit snugly.