cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autobrightness based on lightness of items on-screen

x70xchallengerx
Level 8
So.. I looked through the forums and didn't see any threads related to this, so if I am duplicating a question, please just refer me to the solution and I'll be on my way... now;

I do damn near everything when it comes to computers; games, word docs, video production, 3d modeling and design, photo editing, music, so on and so forth, and I have noticed this issue, not sure if it started when I got the laptop or if it started after formatting or updating nvidia drivers etc but... My screen tends to drop down in brightness if the majority of the screen is a dark color... like when I'm browsing facebook for instance, my screen is bright as can be, because the screen is mostly white, but if I toggle Photoshop ( cc, dark grey UI ), the screen immediately dims. Increasing it manually from the KB changes nothing as it's already maxed. This is really obnoxious considering I do photography and photo editing, and just because I like to be on higher brightness....

Can anyone help me find how to LOCK it at 100% (or whatever I set it at)??
Asus G750JW-DB71
14 REPLIES 14

adamsyes
Level 8
Yeah, its a new update from Nvidia drivers.

you can turn it off under brightness settings where you manually change options under the current power management you currently have (balanced, maximum performance etc)

Click on the battery icon. then Go to > adjust screen brightness > select the power management you want then right below it you will see change plan settings, click that then scroll down and click on display, it will expand few more options.

disable the "Adaptive Brightness" on your desire current settings (plugged in or battery)

Usually, it should only be on during battery saving mode. when under maximum power performance, it should be disabled. I case in your case which power management do you use when doing the work ? and are you using power4gear ?

adamsyes wrote:
Yeah, its a new update from Nvidia drivers.

you can turn it off under brightness settings where you manually change options under the current power management you currently have (balanced, maximum performance etc)

Click on the battery icon. then Go to > adjust screen brightness > select the power management you want then right below it you will see change plan settings, click that then scroll down and click on display, it will expand few more options.

disable the "Adaptive Brightness" on your desire current settings (plugged in or battery)

Usually, it should only be on during battery saving mode. when under maximum power performance, it should be disabled. I case in your case which power management do you use when doing the work ? and are you using power4gear ?

Adaptive brightness uses an ambient light sensor (typically per the webcam) to adjust the backlight brightness, relative to the amount of light hitting the screen. That's not an NVidia proprietary feature to my knowledge (it's adjusted within Windows Power Options).

OP's description sounds more like dynamic contrast ratio, which I think is adjusted via the Intel HD graphics properties (if not, then it should be in the NVidia control panel).

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

X70xchallengerx, I have found using sticky dots on the front sensors works best.

Uh ambient brightness doesn't affect my display any, however I found a solution to my problem,

if you go into Nvidia Control Panel, go to "Adjust Video Color Settings", check "With Nvidia Settings:" and use full dynamic range, and disable "dynamic contrast enhancement." Restart computer and voila!! No more dimming on dark pages/programs!

hmscott wrote:
X70xchallengerx, I have found using sticky dots on the front sensors works best.
Asus G750JW-DB71

x70xchallengerx wrote:
Uh ambient brightness doesn't affect my display any, however I found a solution to my problem,
if you go into Nvidia Control Panel, go to "Adjust Video Color Settings", check "With Nvidia Settings:" and use full dynamic range, and disable "dynamic contrast enhancement." Restart computer and voila!! No more dimming on dark pages/programs!

How did the "Dynamic Contrast Enhancement" option get enabled?

My config was still set for "With the VIdeo player settings" - I think that was default - I don't recall playing with it on this laptop.

Just for grins I turned it on, yes it is annoying 🙂

But, now I will adjust the settings with Dynamic Range: Full without Dynamic Contrast Adjustment, thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the tips (use full dynamic range), now everything is fine! I've just noticed the same problem after I changed solid color as desktop wallpaper.

Prostar Computer wrote:
Adaptive brightness uses an ambient light sensor (typically per the webcam) to adjust the backlight brightness, relative to the amount of light hitting the screen...

"... but, your Honor, we only turned on the Webcam and streamed it's output to our severs to gather anonymous use information, and assist in setting the screen brightness... Why yes, we did categorize the saved streams according to what we saw in the users home, we wanted to gather consumer interest information based on what we found in the users living and working environment... it was all anonymous - no names were attached to the collected data... why yes, GPS information was gathered and saved, so we knew the regional influence to help categorize the users interest for referral of local services and products... ah, yes, we did assign usernames to the saved streams, just not real names... at least at first... Yes, your honor, we understand where we went wrong, and we promise to never do it again... do what you ask? Why, never get caught again, of course...,And, yes the audio stream came with the video stream... Why didn't we filter out the audio stream and save space on our servers? Well your Honor, because the video isn't anywhere near as funny without the audio..."

JDVizart
Level 7
Sticky dots don't work.

Nvidia Control Panel, go to "Adjust Video Color Settings", check "With Nvidia Settings:" and use full dynamic range, and disable "dynamic contrast enhancement." Restart computer and... No change.

Fn+A doesn't turn off the sensor.

I've disabled "NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service" and "NVIDIA Streamer Service".

I've turned off dimming in the windows power settings, and in the Power4Gear Hybrid.

It STILL dims when there's a dark screen. This is very annoying as I do video and photo editing on this laptop. I can't do my job properly as it's effecting the colors of what I'm editing.

How do we fix this?

I'm using the Asus G750jw laptop running Windows 8.1, and the latest update to NVIDEA as of May 25, 2014.

JDVizart and others,

See this thread... It might not help you but we're trying to solve it and hopefully we will do it :rolleyes:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43315-Auto-contrast-is-driving-me-nuts!!/page12