cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with USB 3.0 ports

z3540
Level 7
I tried using a Centon Rush 3.0 USB 32 GB flash drive. When I connect it to any of the USB 3.0 ports, I get a message saying "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." In Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers, the USB Mass Storage Device has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point. I can use the same flash drive on another latptop with a USB 2.0 port without any problems. I don't have any other computer with a 3.0 port. I can use a 2.0 flash drive on the 3.0 port on the G750jw without problems. So, do the USB 3.0 ports work on the G750jw? Is it a Microsoft problem? Is it a problem with Centon? Is there a fix for this?
6 REPLIES 6

hmscott
Level 12
z3540 wrote:
I tried using a Centon Rush 3.0 USB 32 GB flash drive. When I connect it to any of the USB 3.0 ports, I get a message saying "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." In Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers, the USB Mass Storage Device has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point. I can use the same flash drive on another latptop with a USB 2.0 port without any problems. I don't have any other computer with a 3.0 port. I can use a 2.0 flash drive on the 3.0 port on the G750jw without problems. So, do the USB 3.0 ports work on the G750jw? Is it a Microsoft problem? Is it a problem with Centon? Is there a fix for this?

The problem is more common than you might think. The drive is trying to be mounted on an already in use drive letter.

Put in the usb drive, cancel the error message, and look at Disk Management snapin and manually set the drive letter to a free one in the drop down for resetting.

You can also do this by going into the Device Manager, and with the USB drive installed, find the yellow caution icon next to the USB interface that it is connected to. Right click and uninstall that device, and then Scan for Hardware changes and let the driver be reinstalled.

It is also possible that the formatted partition(s) type(s) on the USB drive are incompatible with the destination OS. This is more likely going between dissimilar or older OS"s,

I don't think Windows 8 has dropped support for any format types... exFAT is the one that isn't backward OS compatible, but you can get updates to support exFAT for older Windows releases.

Pitcher1
Level 9
disable usb charger +, check bios setting, if you can restore OS.

Hi everyone,
I am striving with another issue regarding usb3 ports on my Asus ROG G750JW. There is absolutely no way I can make any USB3 external hard drive work on it. Well, they all connect for a few seconds during which I can see my files appear but then it always disconnects and sometimes reconnects in a totally random manner.
And this starts to drive me mad.. I have been on many forums and it seems that many other people have to deal with the same issue, but so far I could not identify any satisfying solution. Some people advised me to use my hard drives by not plugging them completely with the usb plug (only 2/3) and then they are managed as USB2 devices. But I cannot resign myself to only use USB2 on a totally new 2014 machine! Unacceptable!!!
Other told me to just use the Intel drivers, not the Microsoft drivers, but after a few minutes (or maybe rebooting the laptop) the problem is back just the same..
Finally I sent an email to Asus Customer service and they told me to simply restore my laptop to its factory settings.. Unacceptable too! I do not have time to redo all the settings on my laptop. Here I must point out that I am using Windows 8.1 which might be the one responsible for all this misery... But still, it has been months now, there should have been a solution to this problem.
Please if there is a Genius out there who had the same problem and solved it please let me know with clear instructions!!

GoneToAnotherPlane wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am striving with another issue regarding usb3 ports on my Asus ROG G750JW. There is absolutely no way I can make any USB3 external hard drive work on it. Well, they all connect for a few seconds during which I can see my files appear but then it always disconnects and sometimes reconnects in a totally random manner.
And this starts to drive me mad.. I have been on many forums and it seems that many other people have to deal with the same issue, but so far I could not identify any satisfying solution. Some people advised me to use my hard drives by not plugging them completely with the usb plug (only 2/3) and then they are managed as USB2 devices. But I cannot resign myself to only use USB2 on a totally new 2014 machine! Unacceptable!!!
Other told me to just use the Intel drivers, not the Microsoft drivers, but after a few minutes (or maybe rebooting the laptop) the problem is back just the same..
Finally I sent an email to Asus Customer service and they told me to simply restore my laptop to its factory settings.. Unacceptable too! I do not have time to redo all the settings on my laptop. Here I must point out that I am using Windows 8.1 which might be the one responsible for all this misery... But still, it has been months now, there should have been a solution to this problem.
Please if there is a Genius out there who had the same problem and solved it please let me know with clear instructions!!

So far, all the USB 3.0 devices I have tried run at full speed, and are reliable, on all the USB 3.0 ports on the JW/JX/JH - it sounds like you have an incompatible external enclosure - the USB 3.0 chipset it uses isn't happy with the USB 3.0 chipset Asus used in the G750 - you could try another USB 3.0 enclosure - move the disk to it.

Here are the makers of the devices/enclosures I have used that work at USB 3.0 speeds

SIIG
Kingwin
Patriot
Kingston

What is the make/model of the device(s) that fail for you?

Thanks hmscott for your reply! I have just read it after a few months lol.. have been busy on some other matters.
But I think my problem did indeed come from the external enclosure of my hard drives. The enclosure I use is the ICY DOCK.
Since it seems you tried some other brands and it worked for you I might try one of these to see if it solves my problem..

Thanks again for sharing your experience with me. I will let know on the forum if your solution worked for me or not..

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Unfortunately, USB 3.0 adoption has been slow and has created something of a bottleneck in device support/compatibility and driver conflicts. hmscott's suggestion to try another enclosure may turn up viable and would imply that compatibility is indeed the culprit.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!