cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero USB3 HDD Problem (Bios Freeze+BLuescreen)

BoBoRoSSa
Level 7
Bios freezes the second i start my ext. Drive and unfreezes sometimes when i turn it off. Also it does not boot if it is plugged in and turned on before startup. When shutting down with the USB3 HDD on i got a blue screen a few times randomly.

The Case is a Icy Dock Blizzard.

specs:
Intel 4670K i5 3,4ghz
7950 boost
8 GB Gskill sniper 1866mhz

Installed the newest intel driver directly from intel since they are not on WIndows update or Asus support site.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Tools-Software-156186/Downloads/Intel-Chipsatz-Treiber-INF-Update-6728...

Still no fix sadly. Ive read about others having the problem but could not find the Thread again. Is Asus doing something ?

ps.

Are there any known Ext HDD drives that function properly with the Maximus VI Hero ? Best if there is SMART support as well for the BIOS itself. The Blizzard only shows it SMART data to speedfan... Also the Case should have functional Standby for the HDD, i like it more silent and energy efficient.
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please link me to the others having this problem.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

BoBoRoSSa
Level 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not sure if a game controller and a docking station are quite the same but clearly it seems that your external dock is not compatible. Have you tried the update that is discussed in the linked thread.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

BoBoRoSSa
Level 7
Yes i have the newest intel drivers i posted in the OP, sery the site is german but looking at the date and the driver version below it can be seen it is up to date. I dont have any other USB 3 devices to test sadly.

Sure the HOTAS and the Docking Station are not the same. But both are USB devices which cause freeze in startup and crash on shutdown. I should test if disabling xHCI fixes it for me too. But compared to the HOTAS i would loose the important bandwith. Also i cannot test Esate since there is no port for it.

Any user out there who can verify what USB3 devices are working for them espacially Harddrives ?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have two external hard drive caddies connected via USB ports. Both work no worries on my test bench, that was one of the first things I tested when I engaged with your thread.

I do not have an Icydock to play with so can not help you there.

BoBoRoSSa
Level 7
can i have the names of those caddies ? maybe they are to my liking. I already contacted my retailer about the Dokcing station because i wanne sent it back. The bluescreen and freezes in BIOS and postscreen are not the only flaws.

edit: I will again check drivers for USB3 with the Driver checker from intel

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

maybe i will get a surprise? But downloading jave with 600 kbits/s isnt fun at all

edit2: no luck at intels site, its all up to date.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The fist is the StarTech.com #SATDOCKU3FGB http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station-Cooling/dp/B004ZS8Y42

and the second is http://www.amazon.co.uk/DUAL-DRIVE-DOCKING-STATION-eSATA/dp/B009WK1UY4/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF...

BoBoRoSSa
Level 7
the seconds has a nice set of ports which is amazing considering the price. But the reviews said it doesnt support win7, does not work at all is made of cheap plastic and one of them it started burning filling the room with smoke. Nice idea of the dock but no thanks 😄

The first you showed me seems like a good alternative. One selling point is that the Fan can also be shut off which i cant at mine it never ever stops...

HiVizMan
Level 40
I must say I have not had any problems with any of them. I use them on Win7 and Win8

Yeah the fan is good for mechanical drives.